Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

New browser feature

I'm not sure how this would best be implemented, but I think the one of the most painful experiences you can have with a web browser is spending 30 minutes, or an hour, or even 5 minutes, writing the most amazing email, post, or comment - click next - "then something happens that's not proper" - all your typing lost.

Ouch.

Ouch ouch ouch.

Maybe, maybe if you're really lucky, you can click back and breath a sign of relief. (everybody, with me on 3, 1 - 2 -  oooofffff). Most times - not. :-(

Please, browsers need to be able to kind this kind of stuff. Perhaps a preserve="true" in textarea tags? stored in some special cache for a configurable lifetime?

Giles Gregg
Thursday, June 17, 2004

Mozilla is actually pretty good about this -- in fact I've come to trust it such that when when writing a post on here I'll stop typing, hit back, hit F5 to see if anyone beat me with the clever retort, then hit forward and continue typing. Internet Explorer is much more persnickity about this.

Though I should say one thing that greatly irritates me - sites that use JavaScript to, inexplicably, clear the contents of fields. It's humorous when you're typing in a field for the page to finish loading, and bam the script wipes out your entry.

Dennis Forbes
Thursday, June 17, 2004

Oh those sites that put a form "reset" button next to submit and you hit that by accident.

Matthew Lock
Thursday, June 17, 2004

If there is a version which save the copy of the thing.. including what you have written and comes back to you, without executing any javascript.. that would be nice..

social programmer
Friday, June 18, 2004

>>"I'll stop typing, hit back, hit F5 to see if anyone beat me with the clever retort,"

That's what Tabbed Browsing is for.  I always open a new tab for typing a message.

Nigritude Ultramarine
Friday, June 18, 2004

Write your mail/post/joke-of-the-day in notepad and then paste it. (I realise that this is a workaround, but apart from situations where your computer crashes it does work.)

Friday, June 18, 2004

This problem doesn't effect me much because I'm such a bad speller that I need Word (until Browsers start telling me about my errors) so I do the copy and paste thing anyway.

Steamrolla
Friday, June 18, 2004

Use ieSpell  http://www.iespell.com/  to check your spelling in your browser.  You won't be sorry.

K
Friday, June 18, 2004

There are a few Web based content management/document editing systems (especially internally developed at companies) that force you to do a lot of editing in one page, making you vulnerable to losing work if a single HTTP request craps out. Cut & paste is fine, but a pain.

Maybe a browser should have an auto-save option that saves the contents/states of HTML form elements to disk unless the form is submitted successfully (or the user explicitly closes the browser and confirms that the text isn't needed).

John
Saturday, June 19, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home