Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

What I want in JavaScript

I want to do away with the "Script" of JavaScript and make into something a Java or .NET developer would be proud of.  Give me a "real" API to work with.  Oh yeah, and I want it to work the same on all browser (OK maybe I ask too much..)

Bill Rushmore
Thursday, June 17, 2004

I don't get it. What's in a name? Wheather it's JavaScript or Visual Basic? I think what matters is what kind of real world problem the software you developed solves?
Why should C++ developers look down on Visual Basic people or Java programmers on JavaScript coders?

Anon
Thursday, June 17, 2004

Use JScript.Net to get access to real API.
Use objects in JScript to be proud of.
Write browser with rich API, win the war and be done with it :)

WildTiger
Thursday, June 17, 2004

Yes - But  that requires the client to have .NET framework

like Joel says:

"Boil the ocean schemes that require 400,000,000 users to install some thingamajig before you get anything useful. Such schemes will not go anywhere."

Gary van der Merwe
Friday, June 18, 2004

True, but this works for Microsoft because they are able to boil the ocean.

Ged Byrne
Friday, June 18, 2004

Javascript + XPCOM is all you could ever want in a thin client development environment, but then you could add python to the same environment and you might think you had all the complexity and simplicity of implementation that you could ever want.

Simon Lucy
Friday, June 18, 2004

Anon,

I was alluding to somethig deeper than the name.  The "script" has implications.
I don't look down upon the JavaScript devlopers.  Some of the time I am a JavaScript developer!  I just feel like I have one hand tied behind my back when I use JavaScript.

Bill Rushmore
Friday, June 18, 2004

Bill,
That comment was not directed at you. I am sorry to have caused that confusion. I know what you were referring to. My comment was based on the general behavior of different people on this forum. Sorry if it was out of topic.

Anon
Friday, June 18, 2004

JavaScript is often richer than people think. Just read this paper on JavaScript object-oriented features if you didn't know about it:

"JavaScript is an object-oriented language based on prototypes, rather than, as is common, being class-based. Because of this different basis, it can be less apparent how JavaScript allows you to create hierarchies of objects and to have inheritance of properties and their values. This paper attempts to clarify the situation. "

http://developer.netscape.com/docs/manuals/communicator/jsobj/

Eric V.
Friday, June 18, 2004

What's wrong with JavaScript is not that it's a programming language (it's actually a very powerful, prototype-oriented language, like Self or the new Prothon), but that the surrounding tool infrastructure (IDEs/debuggers/libraries) are so weak.

Chris Ryland
Friday, June 18, 2004

If you are using Mozilla/Firebird or a derivative, look into the jars and see how much the app is written in javascript. Yes the connection to XPCOM (cross platform COM) gives javascript a lot more than the browser object model to work with but it's a god example of what is being dome with javascript.

fool for python
Friday, June 18, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home