Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

1 GB E Mail war begins

http://us.rediff.com/money/2004/jun/17rediff.htm

1 GB of E mail and 10MB per Message !

This is an Indian portal. Yahoo is now 100 MB. MSN will soon follow suit. Good for the consumers. Terrible for the paid E Mail services.  Most of them are likely to get decimated.

Karthik
Thursday, June 17, 2004

My Yahoo account is 2 GB. 

Of course, I pay for it, but $20 per year is essentially the same thing as free to me.

Mr. Fancypants
Thursday, June 17, 2004

Yeah, and once it seemed as if free email was no more. Interesting how GMail has turned the things upside down.

Green Pajamas
Thursday, June 17, 2004

Yahoo will find that charging 20$ for 2 GB is not really **profitable**.  Its doubtful they will get so many users

Karthik
Thursday, June 17, 2004

I guess I GB is more like a desktop.

Maybe they want to turn the email account into a virtual desktop by a future addition of productivity/office software to their email offering.

(There goes longhorn ... the thing will then have to be redesigned, another ten times, in order to counter the threat).

Michael Moser
Thursday, June 17, 2004

I hear they are offering free underwears also at Yahoo - 1 GB size ones. They're calling it soft wear revolution. How true?

Just for a laugh, brother. Sorry, eh!

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Thursday, June 17, 2004

<<Maybe they want to turn the email account into a virtual desktop by a future addition of productivity/office software to their email offering. There goes longhorn ... the thing will then have to be redesigned, another ten times, in order to counter the threat>>.

You have a very valid point there. Google is reportedly working on something like that- an operating system on the internet. Very interesting. That will basically render the desktop OS insignificant and consequently MS stranglehold on the desktop.

If i can save a document onto my online folder at google and open it somewhere else, it would be terrific. And if google offers a bunch of API that can do the same thing, it would be fantastic.

Karthik
Thursday, June 17, 2004

What about Hotmail? It still has a 2MB limit. But then again I don't think that many users will switch, as the average Hotmail user is the girl next door. Or her bearded, moustached, ornithologist father who wants to receive his ornithology club e-mails.

Janonymous
Thursday, June 17, 2004

Oops, I forgot my point: Hotmail has many of its users locked in. So unless google or yahoo or whatever becomes really cool in highschool and ornithologist circles, people are not going to switch...

Janonymous
Thursday, June 17, 2004

I think I will keep my email myself, thank you.  I will determin when it lives and dies, not some third party data mining operation.  Not that my stuff is interesting, it's just the principle.  How would you feel if the US gov't offered 5gb free email for life, with the same TOS as Google or Yahoo?  Differently, I'll wager.

Quad
Thursday, June 17, 2004

I really need more than 100 MB for all my spam.

www.alexlechuck.com
Thursday, June 17, 2004

<>Yeah, and once it seemed as if free email was no more. Interesting how GMail has turned the things upside down.<>

Woudn't it be funny if google said in the the near future: "Well we tested gmail and we don't see any way of making money from it, so we are cancelling it."

And this just right after MSN also upgraded its email accounts.

BTW: It think the next big thing google should do is webhosting.

somemorone
Thursday, June 17, 2004

<>If i can save a document onto my online folder at google and open it somewhere else, it would be terrific.<>

Yahoo already offers this http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/bc/bc-01.html

somemorone
Thursday, June 17, 2004

What would really up the ante is if Google started screen scraping Hotmail and Yahoo Mail for you, so you could still collect your old Hotmail etc from Google - thus removing the lockin of loosing your old mail.

Matthew Lock
Thursday, June 17, 2004

Plenty of people use Yahoo and percieve it to be actually a better brand than Hotmail, and Yahoo has a pretty good global presence.

1GB per user is a drop in the bucket for a company that has hundreds of complete mirrors of the internet - Google. 1GB for $20... it could be profitable, how much is a 200 gig hard drive nowadays?

Just like magazine subscriptions - the cost of the subscription is really to ensure they have a good opt-in list for advertisers - these mail companies plan on making money from ads.

Yahoo is probably in bed with doubleclick. I mentioned here a long time ago that after my sister browsed maternity sites, she saw maternity specific ads when she logged in to Yahoo mail. So targeted ads, paid for by the sponsor per impression.

Google pays per click & can target the ads based on what's inside the email, so they don't care for or need an opt-in list, the sponsors know the traffic they get is competitive, and due to the auction nature of Google Ads, Google can always find someone to pay up to $0.40 or so per click.

www.MarkTAW.com
Friday, June 18, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home