Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

What about apps dependant on IE?

So, if somehow IE starts losing its market share and even worse is not updated for sometime, what would happen to the applications dependant on IE?

What about applications that use MSHTML to parse HTML documents, provide WYSIWYG editing and web browsing. There are several including CityDesk, WYSIWYG ASP.NET controls and many popular browsers.

Do IE alternatives offer these features for the developers? If yes, then how well are they supported?

Green Pajamas
Thursday, June 17, 2004

When was the last time IE has been updated, aside from a few security fixes? When 6 was released, something like two years ago or more?

I'm not up on my IE release timeline.

Fred
Thursday, June 17, 2004

Something really revoluationary would have to come along to knock IE off its thrown.  People don't write IE-dependent apps because IE is so awesome -- they do it because it's ubiquitous.  You can pretty much count on most Windows users to have at least IE 5.x...if someday that is longer the case, developers will find something else to provide those services, even though it may be less convenient.

Joe
Thursday, June 17, 2004

*If* IE were to lose its market share, it doesn't mean that MSHTML is suddenly going to go away. It ships with Windows. That was a big part of that whole "is the browser integrated into the OS?" furore.

John Topley (www.johntopley.com)
Thursday, June 17, 2004

When my browser got hijacked, I totally trashed IE's registry settings to try and kill the hijack. (none of the adware programs were succesful).  In doing so, IE itself worked just fine, but nothing that imbedded IE could do it.  And then I found I could barely manage my computer anymore because all of the MS Management consoles embed IE!  Left me rather pissed that really removing IE still isn't an option. 

Keith Wright
Thursday, June 17, 2004

If you're creating apps that are dependant upon IE outside of a controlled internal-corporate environment, you deserve what you get when IE starts to finally fall in numbers.

Greg Hurlman
Friday, June 18, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home