Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Empower ISV - UK

There seems to be a limitation built into the UK version of the Empower ISV programme.

From the requirements: "Membership may not be renewed more than once".

Still, two years worth of MDSN Universal for 260 GBP a go can't be bad.

Steve Jones (UK)
Thursday, June 17, 2004

This is standard for everyone I believe.

el
Thursday, June 17, 2004

The idea is that after a limited time (which, if I'm not mistaken, was originally just one year with no renewal) you/your company will move up to the regular Microsoft partner program.

Emperor Norton
Thursday, June 17, 2004

It's the same for everyone; not just the UK.

Mark Hoffman
Thursday, June 17, 2004

The US site also has the same restriction.  It is a really good deal...my only concern is that it says after membership expires, you lose all the benefits. 

Does that mean you have to pay for or stop using those 5 copies of XP and Office and all those server products?  Would you have to get a full MSDN subscription to keep using those items for dev & testing?

Joe
Thursday, June 17, 2004

"Would you have to get a full MSDN subscription to keep using those items for dev & testing?"

I would assume so, or why would they be selling it like this in the first place?

Brian R.
Thursday, June 17, 2004

Well Joel's comment was that they really want to give it away...but what this is saying, is your first two hits are cheap, so we can get you hooked, but after that if you want more you're gonna have to start putting out ;-)

Joe
Thursday, June 17, 2004

Joe: "your first two hits are cheap, so we can get you hooked".

That sounds like the Microsoft we all know and love ;-)

Still, it is an exceptionally good deal, compared to all the other (legal) ways of getting MSDN Universal.

Steve Jones (UK)
Friday, June 18, 2004

Joel keeps on plugging this program, although its drawbacks have been widely discussed around here. Old friends I guess...

Nicky
Friday, June 18, 2004

It's a hook, however passing the testing to be a full blown Partner isn't that difficult. The real pain is that you have to recertify your stuff every two years, however every time we've certified something we have improved the overall quality of product (e.g. after the Win2K test we'd clean up the registery after ourselves properly and get form resizing right)
Go to the Veritest site, examine the costs. Personal opinion is that the five copies of MSDN Universal make it all worth while, we've gone to gold as it gives a 100 copies of XP & Office we can spread around the (30 person) office.
NB the BEST value test which was the "Certified for XP Gold" test which gave you gold certified partner status has now disappeared.

Peter Ibbotson
Friday, June 18, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home