Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Browser Rants

While the ability to persist urls in between sessions in Opera is un/in-obviatable, I've to complain about how frequently Opera has been crashing since the last 4 days. What caught my appeal at first sight was the tabbed interface of Opera, its ability to persist url information, the integrated ambience offering you a bouquet of utility software under one roof, and the parsimony it showed on using precious taskbar space. But a month or so into using it and I want a refund. Well, not literally coz I didn't donate.

Number two pet peeve with Opera is the dysfunctional side bar popularized by the label toc bar on the MSDN website.

At number three, I might say, we have the print feature. As a regular IE user, when I wanted to print a web page contents, I never shot a print straight from the browser on IE. I didn't like the extravagant use of display images and ad-candies on even the printer-friendly versions of webpages. As a result, I always copied the text from browser and pasted it on my word processor MS Word. I had all the formatting and rich text from the web page on MS Word, and left out the images. Life was good. When I switched to Opera, I tried the same thing:

-Open the browser
-Type URL
-Wow! I love this thing. Lemme print this.
-Go to Printer Friendly Version if there's one
-Select All Text Only
-Control See
-Open MS Word
-Control We

Arrgh! I get a text only version of what I had copied to the clipboard, and Opera doesn't transfer HTML elements as OLE objects to the clipboard. That is so uncool!

Number four: Its a pain in the neighbour's ass to export your Opera favourites to IE. I tried exporting the ADR file but IE spat it back on my face.

Mozilla was a heavy-hog on my sparse RAM and Firefox 0.8 was resting dusty in the closet, unused until lately I found it was as good as Joel's word. I will miss the url persistence frill in Firefox but not speaking of that, it wins the day.

<FIREFOX_ROCKS_REST_EVERYBODY_SUCKS/>

And I've just lost the newsfeeds window on Opera. I tried all menus - View et al but to no avail. Its bothering me that I can't read the newsfeeds I've subscribed to in Opera, though I do have Awasu, RSSBandit and Mozilla as fallbacks.

<Out_of_Browsers>RSSBandit is a dainty piece but sucks big time on performance and load time, not to mention the fact that its just as reckless and crashes when it wants to.</Out_of_Browsers>

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Thursday, June 17, 2004

RSS Bandit also feels the need to popup a little message box every five minutes to tell me how many unread messages exist. Even if they are the same unread messages that where there five minutes ago. Extrememly annoying.

Aussie chick
Thursday, June 17, 2004

But that is a configurable option, I believe?

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Thursday, June 17, 2004

BTW, Cass, you didn't answer "a regular poster to this forum" 's question on this thread. Poor fellow. Imagine how he'd be feeling. You ought to be a little more considerate.

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Thursday, June 17, 2004

Here, I mean:

http://discuss.fogcreek.com/joelonsoftware/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=152936&ixReplies=28

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Thursday, June 17, 2004

Sathyaish - get yourself a blog so that people can choose to listen to your drivel.

Bummers are deaf
Thursday, June 17, 2004

I second that, and posting comments in my blog doesn't count.

Aussie chick
Thursday, June 17, 2004

>and posting comments in my blog doesn't count.

What would that mean?

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Thursday, June 17, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home