Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Importing from Eudora 6.0 to Outlook 2k3

Yesterday I changed my mail agent from Eudora 6.0 to Outlook 2k3.
I imported my emails without a problem, except for the attachments. Both the messages and the folders were ok, but none of them came with any attachments.

Has anyone else solved this?

Voodoo Glow Skull
Thursday, June 17, 2004

If I remember correctly (meaning, I could be completely wrong) Eudora does not keep the message with the attachment intact, but upon recieving it it parses it out, stores it on the filesystem separately and puts a link to the location inside the message. If you put the old attachments folder into the exact same spot it was, the links could still work.

Just me (Sir to you)
Thursday, June 17, 2004

You are correct. I don't recall if/how Outlook can import Eudora attachments but if you still have your Eudora mail folder you'll find all your attachments stored as simple files in the "attach" subdirectory.

Chris Nahr
Thursday, June 17, 2004

Yes, I know how Eudora stores attachments. But for me the question is, how do I get them inside my messages?

Voodoo Glow Skull
Thursday, June 17, 2004

Or inside Outlook?

Voodoo Glow Skull
Thursday, June 17, 2004

Since Eudora "destroyed" the original Mime messages, you'ld have to recreate them (via a script?) before doing the import.

Just me (Sir to you)
Thursday, June 17, 2004

VGS,

You might try a product called Emailchemy, from Weird Kid Software ( http://www.weirdkid.com ).

I had good luck using their software to go from OE to an IMAP store.  According to their website, it does support Eudora.

Norbert Burger
Thursday, June 17, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home