Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Visual Studio Team -vs- FogBugz, et al

Someone commented in an earlier thread that they felt the Joel and Eric Sink should be nervous about MS releasing "Visual Studio 2005 Team". Having never heard of this product I was intrigued enough to head over to the MS website and read about it:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/teamsystem/Team/default.aspx?pull=/library/en-us/dnvsent/html/vsts-msf.asp

I think Joel and Eric are safe. This thing looks like it's going to collapse under the sheer-weight of its own bloated featuritis. I don't know about other people, but I  find that ridgid, high-ceremony tools and process tend to get reviled in a hurry.

GUI Joe
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

People have a habit of grossly overestimated Microsoft's ability to conquer new markets. Ultimately, much like SourceSafe, this thing could win simply by being "in the box".

Dennis Forbes
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

I have not seen this (it was being shown at the various developer events) but I have read about it.  It is aiming at the enterprise market (aiming for lock in). All the bells and whisles may be necessary do to tighting auditablity regulations and report generation.  Some people think that these heavy process tools can be used to deflect Sarbains-Oxley (The Report was not generated correctly because Joe Coder did not actually put in the code, Bad Joe Coder , Your fired and your getting the bill for the companies legal expenses too) 

And yes compainies are actually putting in ITIL and heavy SCM for tight auditing to cover their rear.  (It is not as cynical as I said above but it allows for tighter control of IT Development and hopefully less suprises in managing IT Dev or so goes the theory)

A Software Build Guy
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

"...(The Report was not generated correctly because Joe Coder did not actually put in the code, Bad Joe Coder , Your fired and your getting the bill for the companies legal expenses too) ..."

Are you telling me that in the US not only can they fire you, but they will sue you for not doing your job properly, or breach of contact, or whatever?

regards,

treefrog
Thursday, June 17, 2004

Only if you are a license engineer (and only Texas has license software engineers).  Then you can be sued for malpractice.  I was being extreme and extremely silly. 

My point is that complete auditablity is the rage in larger publicly traded companies. 

A Software Build Guy
Thursday, June 17, 2004

And for full disclosure, Sarbanes Oxley makes the CEO and CFO fully libel for the ability to generate timely (real time) accurate fiscal reports.  The CFO and CEO can actually go to jail if such reports can not be generated (extremely unlikely...). So now these upper management types want to know what the CIO can give them in tools or it is his head and as we know every thing goes down hill.

A Software Build Guy
Thursday, June 17, 2004

Ahh, this clears things up

thanks

treefrog
Thursday, June 17, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home