Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Poll: web applicationss you DO use

Web applications are here to stay, or so He says.

And I have this weird feeling that I'm missing something because I cannot think of a web application that I use on a dailiy basis.

I read email via Outlook, my bug tracking software is rich client, my development tools are native, I even use Agent to read news instead of Google groups. Office, Opera, eMule, Nero, WinAMP, games, VS NET, Gel (Java IDE), TOAD (Oracle), Photoshop, etc.. whatever, you name it: all good old fat client stuff.

I sometimes check my bank accounts via web and use a shitty application deployed in my intranet for doing time sheets. That's all the web applications I use... for the rest of my computing time I always use native rich client applications.

For me the web is reading news, forums and ecommerce.

Out of curiousity: what web applications do you use regularly?

Old fashioned boy
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Forums are kind of an application (if you look at the source code for something like vBulletin or phpBB, very complex ones)... Most now include a rich text edit box for crafting your post, and there are DHTML-rich skins that have all sorts of client side-like bells and whistles.

Levik
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Nearly all of my company's custom productivity tools are web applications.  These are business critical applications.

Sassy
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

We use PeopleSoft, and a bunch or other internal apps. And we sell web apps. So Joel's article hit the nail on the head as far as my world is concerned.

Anony Coward
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

I hate web-based applications.

I don't know why, I just do.

Aussie Chick
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

* SquirrelMail
* viewCVS
* TeamTrack
* mantis
* nagios
* mediawiki
* moveable type
* TD Waterhouse trading
* Joel on Software forum

To name a few.

christopher baus (www.baus.net)
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

- Hotmail
- JoS Forum

RP
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

I see a lot of free web apps being mentioned in here.  Let me pose a better question - what web applications do you PAY to use?

And the fact that you pay your ISP for web access does not count.  I'm talking about strict pay-for-play transactions.

www.ChristopherHawkins.com
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Paying would require I had money, but here're two odd ducks, outside the sphere of webmail (too lazy to deal with old Netscape/Thunderbird importing and stability or lack thereof, spam took off while I wasn't looking), and service-related interfaces:

Peercast.
Samba.

I'm not sure what it means when starting a daemon and browsing to localhost:magicnumber really is more convenient, but both of those are apps you just might want to twiddle from multiple nodes on your own private LAN in this NATted world.  Both are obviously network-oriented anyway.

Some people apparently like webmin.

The above cases all use HTML and HTTP as a poor-man's X11 + widget kit du jour.

Also behold the number of network-based "appliances" that no longer use custom configuration utilities, though again, this begs the question of whether a "configuration utility" is an application.  Point only being that these things wouldn't exist, or would be as reviled as winmodems, without.  (I like http://www.2wire.com 's router interfaces, myself, and they manage to approximate some 'real application' features in them, like active speed test graphs and so on.)

Anonymous Peon
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Most of our in-house software at my company are web apps on the Intranet. Time reporting, employee directory, server farm directory, knowledge base, statistics, web mail, etc.

Eric V.
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

There are no desktop applications being developed at the company I work for (5000+ employees).  Everything is a web application.  Joel couldn't be more correct.

K
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Google, Amazon, EBay, Safari, Banking, EMail...

actually, except for dev tools, these are the only applications that I use every day.

fool for python
Thursday, June 17, 2004

The point is perfect.  What web applications do you pay to use?  Or more to the point, what pure web applications are major commercial products?  There are a few, but only a few.  Why?  There are many reasons, one being that people don't expect to pay for a web site. 

Gunnar Skogsholm
Thursday, June 17, 2004

I use the web interface to Perforce because it seems a bit cleaner/less obtuse than the full client and I don't need to do much fancy stuff 90% of the time.
Plus I can allow browse-only access pretty easily to other coworkers spread across town...

Michael Joyner
Thursday, June 17, 2004

Safari, and boy do I hate it being a Web app. Slow as molasses, but it is the only way to get at the content.

Just me (Sir to you)
Thursday, June 17, 2004

I do my email (Yahoo & Gmail), numerous forums, and I use eGroupWare, and webmin for administration.

Between all of these tools, I have complete access to all my files from home or away.  I can send email to/from anywhere, and I can manage all of my sites.

I've even built a wireless thin client (based on a Vadem Clio) at home that allows my wife and I to do nearly everything with minimal power usage and/or waiting.

I even do network installs of my of my apps in order to minimize the installation/versioning nightmares.  When I plug a new system into my home network, I map a samba share and then I ahve all my apps available.  I map another share and I have all my data available.

The rest of the world is starting to catch up...

KC
Thursday, June 17, 2004

How many of you own televisions at home and yet still subscribe/purchase a newspaper on a daily basis? Once a mode of interaction is entrenched, it will take a long long before it goes out of fashion.

Joel's point is valid. But only upto a certain extent. After all Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer are Fat Clients.

KayJay
Thursday, June 17, 2004

Yes, Safari is a monthly fee. But for me, so is Amazon. Everyone who purchase items from Amazon is paying for the application.

The cool part about Amazon, is that their application has an API, and use of the API is free. You can build an amazon front-end using just html or a the full Win31 API or anything in between.

fool for python
Saturday, June 19, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home