Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Editing a PDF?

Hi,

I would like to have a big PDF printed out, but to save money, I'd like to edit this file to have two pages show on each page in landscape.

Anybody knows of a cheap software that can read a PDF and let me do this kind of light editing?

Thank you.

Fred
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

You actually don't need to edit your PDF file at all.

Just open the file in the Acrobat Reader.

Then choose File > Print...

In the Print dialog box, click on the Properties button.

Now you're looking at a dialog box that's specific to your own printer (and its drivers), but it should have some sort of setting that allows you to print multiple pages per sheet. With my print driver, I have the option to set a "Pages per Sheet" option to "2".

That's it.

Benji Smith
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

For a general-purpose answer, FinePrint can do that for any application.
http://www.fineprint.com/

Philo

Philo
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Thx. I know that you can tell the printer to print more than one page of text on a single page of paper, but the photocopier guy told me that I would have to doctor the PDF prior to giving it to them. Don't ask :-)

Fred
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

So print it like a previous poster mentioned, 2 pages per.  But don't print to the printer, print to a file.

Hmm... after lunch grogginess.  Hope that game out clear.

"print to a file" summarizes it nicely.

Andrew Hurst
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

The free way is to print your PDF 2-to-a-page to a postscript file using Postscript printer driver (like the Apple Color Laserwriter PS driver included with Windows). Then have Ghostscript convert the resulting postscript file to a PDF file.

Ankur
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

>> So print it like a previous poster mentioned, 2 pages per.  But don't print to the printer, print to a file.

Does that keep the fonts and graphics? For those interested, FinePrint -> PDF Factory handles this very well. Just print the PDF to FinePrint, and let it handle things.

Thx again Philo.

Fred
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home