Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

sbcglobal.net e-mail bug?

If you have an sbcglobal.net e-mail address, try sending an e-mail with a subject line that contains the single word, Congratulations without any punctuation.

A friend of mine will not get the e-mail. I told him to check his "bulk" or spam folder to see if it gets put in there. He said he couldn't.

He called SBC and the tech support guy duplicated it. He then supposedly got an engineer on the line and he was blown away, as well as concerned, saying, "Wow, I wonder what other e-mail I'm not getting!"

A week later, and after a bunch of calls trying to get a status on the problem, he's gotten nowhere. He finally got an e-mail saying. "The problem seems to be resolved. We sent you a bunch of e-mails and they all seem to have made it to your inbox.

So my friend looked and there are a bunch of e-mails in there with the word "Congradulations" (sic).

Yes, they mispelled the word. Duh! He said that the problem still exists.

If it's not SPAM filtering, then what is it? Hmm. Makes you wonder.

I'd be interested if anybody else can test this and if you see the same behavior, since I'm not an SBC customer.

Mark S
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

I have an sbcglobal address and I just duplicated this. Wasn't there an outlook macro virus at one time that used "congratulations" in the subject? Maybe this is an artifact of a really lame virus "fix"?

Rob VH
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

I have the same problem sending mailing from my SBC (Snet.net) account to outside addresses and from several different outside addresses into my SBC accounts.

I've sent several hours with SBC and SBC/Yahoo tech support trying to get this resolved -- so far without success. I've even duplicated it using their Web based email client, thus completely eliminating my Eudora and workstation. I can even duplicate it using their web based clinet to send mail to myself -- thus eliminating all outside providers.

Justus A
Thursday, June 17, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home