Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Any advice on *good* Windows Scripting books

Hi all!

I work as "implemetation consultant" on my real-job. As part of that,  I'm seeing that I'd better get proficient on Windows Scripting, the sooner the better (quite a lot of what I have to do is "getting info" from the installed computers, "edit-the-registry" on production systems and the like).

I am already fairly familiar with batch files programming (and with Python and C# and... I mention it because I have to limit myself to the scripting languages installed on "all" the computers -read .bat, .js and .vbs), but I always have the feeling "there has to be an easier way".

I've been reading around, and I've seen good reviews of a couple of books:

"Microsoft Windows 2000 Scripting Guide" (ISBN 0735618674) - I'd say this is "the" book.

And I've seen good opinions on:

"Windows Administration Scripting: Little Black Book", by Jesse M. Torres (1932111875)

Any opinion on those / any others I'm leaving out??

Thanks a lot

F. Javier Jarava
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Well, if really want to work in the abortion of a scripting language that is VBScript... ;¬)

I have my copy of the "Microsoft Windows 2000 Scripting Guide" sitting next to me.
It's very thick and very comprehensive. I've just been using it to script some unattended installation tasks, and it is the best book I've found.

Personally, I think this book and access to Google (to find good online samples) is the best start you'll get.

YMMV of course.

Jon Deeming
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Not that I'm that keen on using VBScript (I'll probably gravitate towards JScript, having a background on "C-ish" languages)...
but if I have to write scripts that'll run on any of our client's networks, I'd better stay "compatible".

If I could "impose" a platform, I'd use Python but I can't say "get Python on your 1500 computers so that I can collect some stats, or see what info I get from the regsitry, or..."

Thanks for the advice.

JJ

F. Javier Jarava
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

This is something I've been looking at for a couple of days now as well. Does any one have any good resourses for scripting IIS Setup. By that I don't mean the install of it, but creating a website when a user signs up from a asp.net site. Thanks for any help.

SW
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

I'll second the reomendation for The Microsoft Windows 2000 Scripting Guide. 

You can get a log of the information from the book online at http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/2000/server/scriptguide/en-us/default.mspx

nalyd
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

The W2K Scripting Guide is indeed very good.

A good "cookbook" style book if you're looking to manage enterprise systems with the windows script host is the aptly named "Managing Enterprise Systems With The Windows Script Host" by Stein Borge. It is short on theory and long on practical examples.  Not very deep, but quite broad.

Full disclosure:  I was the technical reviewer, and I recommended the title.  I apologize for the title, but the other choices were worse.

A BAD reference book is the FIRST edition of
"VBScript in a Nutshell" by Ron Petrusha.  It is chock full of mistakes.  The SECOND edition is quite a decent reference book, with far fewer mistakes.

Full disclosure:  Yeah, I was the tech reviewer of VBSiaN v2 as well.

Eric Lippert
Friday, June 18, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home