Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Air Supply

Not just a bad band.

http://www.businessweek.com/microsoft/updates/up90129a.htm

Those who want to rewrite history and claim that we're where we are simply because Microsoft made a better product have a lot of unfortunate emails to answer for.

MD
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

...were the past 6 years of my life just a dream?...

Bummers are deaf
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

MD, is it just my perception, or have you suddenly gone on a crusade to convince the world (or at least this board) that Microsoft *only* wins competitive battles because they abuse a monopoly position in the market?

You've got a dozen people on other threads telling you, from personal experience, that Netscape 4 sucked. Yet you continue to post and post alleging that the only reason IE pulled ahead in the browser market was budling.

You say you were in college working on OS/2 2.0, so you were using browsers around that time - what was your personal browser history? Do you really have warm, friendly memories of NS4 reloading the page every time you hit the window border instead of the scrollbar? Did you follow the path many of us did of NS3 -> NS4[long enough to realize it doesn't fix the things that sucked about 3] -> Opera, but then stay in Opera until they got all their JS and Java stuff working right?

I'm sincerely curious about your mindset and conviction that everyone is lost but you.

Philo

Philo
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Philo:

If you can find a place where I ever claimed that IE was not at least a bit better than Netscape at one time, please provide the citation at this point.

You're really sucking up. Big-time.

I dislike Microsoft because they are good enough to compete on their own merits, and yet so often they don't. That's it.

And a lot of their battles WERE won on competitive merit. Again, find a place where I said otherwise, or retract this claim now.

MD
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Philo:

Also, I was in college pre-WWW (remember, OS/2 2.0 had a long path to release). The first web browser I used was an early copy of Mosaic, and the first one I used a lot was IBM's old WebExplorer.

I was developing web content (intranet only) in 1993.

So please drop the implied claim that I didn't have experience in this area. I've already said that IE was at the time in question a decent browser (I said it in the very first posting). You're arguing with strawmen.

My ideal world would have been Microsoft and Netscape spurring each other to browser improvements (and other platform improvements) over the last decade or so. Instead, what we had was Netscape destroyed by MS' monopoly power, and after that, exactly zero browser innovation from commercial entities. That's not a healthy market.

MD
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Now I can't get those Air Supply songs out of my head...

Mark Hoffman
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Dear Philo,
                I started off on Netscape 3 and then changed to IE3 because my bank gave away free internet access and put IE on the disk, whilst the old ISP put Netscape.

I then got all technical and found a way to run set up Netscape with the other ISP :)

I actually preferred Netscape 4 to IE 4. What made me change back to MS was IE 5.0 beta, which was amazingly stable, and let you save old web pages. In fact my brother's machine still runs it.

Netscape's two mistakes were the lack of modalarity for developers, and the decision to completely rewrite. But neither would have been enough to lose the market share if MS wasn't bundling IE.

Stephen Jones
Wednesday, June 23, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home