Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Abort, Retry, Fail ?

Whenever I run my application (.exe) from CD it displays the error message "Unknown Unit error writing drive C. Abort, Retry, Fail ?". The CD-ROM drive is 'C:' If I give the option as 'fail' the application continues with the execution.
The application is not trying to write anything to the CD.
I tried running the application with just a blank main(). I got the same result.

This is not reproducible in a write-protected floppy.

When I try to write anything in to the CD then the error message displayed is different and it is "Critical Error : Abort, Retry, Ignore, Fail ?".
This can be reproduced on a write-protected floppy.

The application is run from the ROM-DOS bootable CD and the application is made using Causeway-DOS Extender.

In the DOS extended error codes, it is the return code for INT21
support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q74/4/63.ASP

Anyone ever faced such an issue ?

Vincent
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Have you tried running it with System Internals Filemon?  That should tell you what file access is failing to at least give you a clue where to start tracking down the problem.

R1ch
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

I haven't tried that. Rich, Can you shed more light on that ?

Vincent
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/filemon.shtml

Bummers are deaf
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Sure.  Go to http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/filemon.shtml and download filemon.  Run it up and set it to filter out everything except your process.  Now all file access that your process performs will get logged out at the WINAPI level, complete with arguments and error values... take a look at what's failing and work from there.

R1ch
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

But the application is in ROM-DOS. Looks like they don't have the DOS version.

Vincent
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Ah - sorry, I missed that bit.  I really should read things more carefully.

R1ch
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home