Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Customizing yourself

Where do you stand on tattoos?

I was thinking about getting one, but I don't know what the future consequences will be. I plan on doing it in my shoulder, away from preying eyes, but....
Have you ever been on any type of social function where you had to show your upper-body - corporate sponsored dinner after a day at the beach? Do you know of any other white-collar workers who have tattoos?
I also realizes that tattoos are becoming more and more common, which means that in the future they won't be considered so evil. But what do you think? What's your experience?

RP
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

If you're agonizing over it now, you may worry about it too much later.

www.MarkTAW.com
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Have you ever had one?

RP
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

I don't consider it a plus to put it mildly. It can give out many different signals, none of them positive: Naive, inflexible, dogmatic, fashion victim, dumb, stupid, egotripper ...
A lott depends on the rest of your presence which of the above ways it goes.

Just me (Sir to you)
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Put it off for a month then see if you still think its a good idea, I doubut you will.

Tony Edgecombe
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

I thought about having BAADF00D* tat'd somewhere, but I think the number who'd get the joke would be too small. Get a T-Shirt instead, at least you can change that.

* Wasn't there a DEADBEEF as well?

Wednesday, June 16, 2004

it will look fantastic when you reach age 50, and your body starts to melt because of fat

Wednesday, June 16, 2004

I have two, but they are in areas that aren't normally displayed (upper shoulder area of the arm, and one on my right shoulder blade).

Now, I got both of mine when I was younger and dumber and if I had it to do over I wouldn't get them, but because of my wife not work.  I can't think of any work situation where it would matter.  Several folks know that I have tattoos, including my boss and the CEO, but since they are in areas that are inconspicuous it doesn't really matter.

Also, the note about how they will look when you get older needs to be taken into consideration.  If you don't avoid sunlight then they will fade and begin to look awful.  Of course, you can always have them touched up later if need be.

Also, remember that one day your kids are going to ask you about them, so don't get any tattoos you wouldn't want your kids to spend a lot of time asking you about.

In my case, I have a skull (on the shoulder) and a rather large female vampire on the the shoulder blade, which aren't down right embarrassing, have led to some interesting comments from the kids who are now convinced (rightly) that I was an idiot when I was 18 - 21.

If you're going to do it, don't get something that you picked out from the wall of the tattoo studio.  Nothing worse than going down the street and seeing someone else with the same tattoo that you got to express your individuality.

Finally, spend a lot of time checking out the studio before you do get a tattoo.  Make sure the place is spotless and that they use proper hygenic procedure.  Also, spend a lot of time going through the artist's portfolio (if the tattooist doesn't have one, then run away) and look at the quality of the work.  Contact as many previous customers as possible and see if they are still satisfied with the work.

Remember, a tattoo is more or less forever.  One bad decision can annoy and haunt you for the rest of your life, or at least until you pony up the $5000 to get the tattoo removed.

Steve Barbour
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

I want to be different....

...Just like everybody else!!!!!!

Gen'xer
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

I know a few "white collar" people who have them, one is a medical doctor and the other is a bioinf PhD. To each his own :)

Rhys Keepence
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

I have one; I first pondered getting it in 1997, but put it off to consider if I really wanted it. While I thought about it, I kept the image (one I did myself; it's a celtic knot, so ) in my wallet, where I saw it every day - I've heard other people recommend that you stick it on your bedroom wall. After three revisions and five years of looking at the design daily, I had it done - it's on my shoulder, hidden by a short-sleeved shirt if necessary.

Checking the thread, I see that Steve Barbour has given a ton of practical advice - I agree completely.

Ben Scofield
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

I got one last year at 36 on my right shoulder blade. I got the Green Lantern symbol as I used to be a big comic book collector and always felt a strong affinity to that character. I would say go for it if your planning on getting something that means something to you, as a previous poster stated don't just pick something off the wall of the tattoo shop.

Gerald

Gerald
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

why is the shoulder the most attractive place for a tattoo?
and... if you want a tattoo why would you like to hide it?

Logan
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

IMHO, don't get words. If the artist screws up a picture, nobody needs to know but you. But everyone can tell what happened when your shoulder says "SUOL FOOD"

And apparently being rich doesn't protect you:
http://www.ananova.com/entertainment/story/sm_944285.html
(Work safe)

Philo

Philo
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

I think the shoulder came from military types who tattooed what they had on their dragoons. But then again I might be wrong.

Damsel in Distress
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

I think you'll find the ability to hide a tattoo helps at interviews...and formal social occasions. 

For example, a few (alright 15) years ago some of the people I worked with lived in the same street as a man who had the words "Eat Shit" tattooed on his face.  Nice bloke apparently.  But even so - who'd employ him?

a cynic writes...
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Well, I got mine on the upper shoulder because I was in the Military Police at the time and planned on moving toward the investigation side eventually.  If you're working under cover (which I never actually did) then you don't want your unique tattoo out where everyone can see it.

I've never regretted getting that tattoo in an easily hidden area though.  If I want to show it, I can always wear a tank top or something (young attractive women shudder at THAT thought though).

Steve Barbour
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Tattoos can be removed using a laser.  I heard they used the laser once for each primary color (i could be wrong but I know it takes several treatments) and that it was a little painful.  Google for 'laser removal' or 'tattoo removal'.  Heck they can remove a lot of stuff with a laser like unwanted hair plus they have facial treatments and I believe acne treatments as well.

As for getting a tattoo, well a lot of guys in the military got them, but I stayed away.  I guess they thought it was cool or something.  The things people do when they're 18 heh.

Dave B.
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Why are the military so atracted to tattoos? If you're a war veteran or a special forces guy, I can understand. After all, something particularly hard happened during your life and you don't want to let it go away. But nowadays, what's the thrill?

RP
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Google on "esprit de corps"

Philo

Philo
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

It doesn't take war veterans or special forces guys to be exposed to violence.  I remember I had just left the Khobar Towers in Saudi Arabia in the Mid 90's when it was attacked and blown up by a fuel truck.  My roommate at the time was there and when he came back he had started smoking and had a change of attitude.  I'm not sure if he got a tattoo or not but I know that he was a completely different person.  Still a good guy but maybe a little wiser to the ways of the world.

I remember talking to some of the oil workers and government contractors and they loved Saudi (at that time).  A lot of the 'oil guys' had tattoos.  I guess working on a rig in the Persian Gulf isn't an easy job.

Dave B.
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home