Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Measuring performance

I'm measuring the performance of  a certain lengthy set of calculations on a dedicated computer. I can control the length of the set and need to measure calculation times.
The thing is that at some point the process just runs out of RAM and starts paging the hard drive, which means the cpu is just sitting around waiting for the disk to get on with things.
Question is: How do I tell when this starts happening, and how can I know how long the calcs take in each part of the set (before and after the onset of paging)?

John Q Tester
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

There are standard tests that do this, programs you can download. You may be able to learn more on hardware test sites like http://www.tomshardware.com/

www.MarkTAW.com
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

If the calcs are long enough, you could time each and track the mean time per calc.  Otherwise only taking time estimates every N calcs, and dividing by N.  The average over N could be used to help calculate the overall average.  When you notice the calc time has dramatically increased over the overall average time, you could guess the system is paging.

sten
Saturday, June 19, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home