Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Tabbed browsers - what about Avant browser?

I tried Mozilla recently and was impressed but for someone working in a company using/developing in Microsoft based technologies I found several annoyances.  The MSDN Library did not function properly in Mozilla, ActiveX controls didn't work (sure you might say thats a benefit but unfortunately we still develop some), etc.
I am using http://www.avantbrowser.com/ - its tabbed browsing for IE - pretty cool.  You can still use your IE favourites and it has all the pop blocking stuff, etc.

Pete
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

But it's still stuck with IE's broken rendering, which means that any site using advanced CSS - even some CSS1 features, for heaven's sake - will still not work properly in it.  You must've seen Eric Meyer's famous example of a translucent background over a nautilus shell done purely in CSS...

What's wrong with the MSDN library?  Works fine for me in Firefox.

Guthlac Hendrikkson
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

In my opinion, the fact that browsers such as:

NetCaptor  http://www.netcaptor.com/

MyIE2  http://www.myie2.com/

AvantBrowser  http://www.avantbrowser.com/

are based on IE is a HUGE advantage.

You get 100% compatibility with:

- the sites that work only in IE

- IE plugins

- IE toolbars

- download managers such as FlashGet, much better than the one provided by FireFox

For example, I use MyIE2 and have the Google toolbar activated. I have tried several other IE plugins and they all worked.

MyIE2 fan
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

I also like MyIE2.

At least the favorites support isn't severly broken like in FireFox.

heavy browser user
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

How about type-ahead-find? I am addicted to type-ahead-find.

Do any other browsers besides Mozilla based ones offer that?

Matthew Lock
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

"But it's still stuck with IE's broken rendering"

You mean it will function with more sites than any other browser out there, right? Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer them to go for more standards support (while keeping compatible woth everything, of course), but I would not call it "broken" (and no, I do not mean that they don't mess up PNG's).

Just me (Sir to you)
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Talking about tabbed browsers reminded me of one of my biggest customization complaints.  In Modzilla, when you right-click on a tab, you can choose "Close tab", which is often useful.  Right below it is "Close other tabs", which kills the other 10 tabs that you have open without a warning...  I've stopping using the right-mouse close option because I've missed the correct menu option so many times.

Here's the thing; I know designers like packing lots of cool options onto menus, but why can't they include a preferences file that allows you to get rid of stuff you never use (someone out there might like these things, but I would rather have just the two or three choices on a menu that I actually use).  Word kind of does this now by hiding unused choices on the menu bar, but that hasn't made it to any right-click menus that I've seen.

If anyone out there is designing a UI right now, they might want to think about how it is that you include the features the 1% of your users want w/o being annoying to the other 99%

Steamrolla
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Opps, Mozilla... Don't you hate it when your fingers add letters to the data stream?

Steamrolla
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

But Just Me, it IS broken. You say you want more standards support, well that's what I want too. Unfortunately, IE has buggy implentations of standards, like CSS. It's been that way for years and they have never fixed it.

Sure, most people use IE, so you probably should use the various nasty hacks to get around their bugs, but come on! Other browsers have been working just fine for a long time now. Why can't they update IE?

Here's a nice list of what's broken in IE, and some possible hacks to get around it: http://www.positioniseverything.net/explorer.html

Fred
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

And why would I care for lack of support for standards that nobody uses anyway? The ability to visit websites designed for IE is much more important to me, as is the fact that all "favorites" are shared between plain IE and AvantBrowser.

Chris Nahr
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Steamrolla:

In my FireFox 0.8, the order of those two menu options is the way you are expecting it. Infact 'Close Tab' is even delimited by a menu item divider.

/Just Sayin...

Tomaco
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

I've been using Avant, and I think it's great. It's a bit buggy, but the pros far outweigh the cons. Kudos to the author.

genius
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

"What's wrong with the MSDN library?  Works fine for me in Firefox"

When I last tried Mozilla (I think when Joel last posted about it) when you open a link in MSDN instead of just expanded the tree branch it always reloaded it - and it did not show the whole tree structure - just the current branch.

Pete
Friday, June 18, 2004

I hope all of you IE users out there didn't get infected by the new Russian hackers last week.  As for myself and other Firefox users, I had no worries.

IE still has unfixed vulnerabilities that were discovered by third parties months ago.  For example, they still have not fixed a problem involving HTA and mshta.exe.  I should create a fake page, make it Google friendly, and have you IE users visit it.  Then we'll see how much better you think it is.  Microsoft is the most irresponsible and greedy company I know of.  By the way, I am definitely not biased since I make my living by working with them and their products.

Do yourselves a favor and try other browsers.

AK
Wednesday, July 07, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home