Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Interview with Scott Collins from Mozilla.org

At Ars Technica:
http://arstechnica.com/etc/linux/collins-interview-1.html

On mistakes from Mozilla:

"Three: I was the head of the team that fought hard with Netscape management to get a system of XML to define the user interface. I named it the XML User Interface Language, or XUL (pronounced zool). David Hyatt is the primary implementer of it, and one of the ideas that we had is that we would have a cross-platform interface, but that you specify native controls with XUL. It turned out that specifying native controls with XUL was hard. They were limited, and hard to write, and we waited a long time. People kept telling us that Mozilla would never be good until we had the native controls, and we knew they were wrong, it is good without native controls, but boy, people really really want their native controls. And they really rewarded us when we gave them native controls. When we gave them things like Firefox, which looks native on the platforms that its on, and Camino, which is native in OS X. They thought it was fantastic.

We should have used native controls as soon as it was possible, despite of the fact that they're harder to write, because we ended up going that way anyway."

Does that serve as a hint for Swing? :)

Joao
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

This may be a troll post, but I just don't get how they take XUL and pronounce it 'zool'.

It's like they are saying "can't figure out how to pronounce a word starting with 'x', lets use 'z' instead". Why 'z'?

Aussie Chick
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

---
This may be a troll post, but I just don't get how they take XUL and pronounce it 'zool'.
---

Nope, this isn't a troll here. I simply like to learn about the history of computing, and in this case, it's about a browser that I've been using since 1999.

If you don't care for Netscape and Mozilla history, just skip this thread.

About the 'zool" pronounce, I leave it for the native speakers. No smiles this time.

Joao
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

GHOSTBUSTERS!
WHAHAHAHAHA!!!

THE APEMAN
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

In case the above comment was too eliptical, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XUL

Simon Lucy
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

A few words beginning with "X" have a "Z" sound, like xylophone or zygote.

Matthew Lock
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

"Zygote" begins with an X?

Guthlac Hendrikkson
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Joao, no I was implying that my post was very troll-like. ie hyjacking a thread to comment on how I didn't like the way a word was pronounced!!

Aussie Chick
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

That's ok then, thanks for clarifying.

Joao
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

> "Zygote" begins with an X?

In the secret alphabet used only by native English speakers, yes. Damn, I'll probably get shot for letting that secret slip

*BANG*
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Apeman "GHOSTBUSTERS!
WHAHAHAHAHA!!!"

Yes, the javascript debugger projekt is called Venkman.

MyNameIsSecret();
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

I think a more interesting bit from that interview is that they had a new 5.0 release ready almost ready to go, but someone in management decided to cancel it and push ahead with mozilla.  He says the engineers knew it would be a long time before they could deliver mozilla ("...two years at least...").

http://arstechnica.com/etc/linux/collins-interview-2.html

Matt
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Anybody knows who was that "someone in management"? I am DYING to find out!

Nicky
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Nicky, according to one post on the Slashdot thread about this, it was Mike Homer.

Should be working
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home