Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Trading Places and Being There

reading saythiashi's (uh, you know) posts got me thinking it would be an interesting experiment to emulate the movies Trading Places and Being There by taking a random member of this board, or a guy off the street, and see how far up the IT power chain we could get him simply by passing him off as an expert or whatever. get him an article in The Server Side, quoted on Cnet, a blog on artima.com, a "consulting" gig with one of the big shops.

we could even try to ply him with the aggregated knowledge/wisdom/social contacts/business connections/b.s. ability/etc. of all the other posters here, but i suspect that would be unnecessary, as there are enough buzzword sluts out there willing to buy into the next big thing, even if it's a sham.

I nominate me.

Alan Smithee
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Now pulling off a scam like that would really get this forum onto the map....well once it had been pulled off, then uncovered for the fraud that it was...

Aussie Chick
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

What fraud? Big consultancies do it all the time IMO.

Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Yeh Smithee. Just what do you think an "expert" is. 

It's just some dude who works for a company with a receptionist and a PR writer, or alternatively anyone at a university, even a research assistant on $80 per week.

Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Huh? Alan just described precisely the kind of person who moves up the corporate food chain.

http://www.dakine.net/dilbert/dilbert-dilbertprinciple.shtml

www.MarkTAW.com
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home