Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Windows like Web Apps (Oddpost.com)

I'm sure some of you have experience with good web apps but personally I had never seen one until http://oddpost.com

It basically attempts to recreate Outlook Express totally in DHTML.  It works surprisingly well.  There is hint that it's actually running the the browser.  All browser menus, icons and options are gone.

It allows dragging and dropping of folders and messages like you'd expect for Outlook Express and on top of that it supports RSS Feeds.  I've been using it for about 6 months to get access to my personal e-mail at work through our proxy (no POP access through the proxy).  It's great although it's IE only.

It will be nice when, as Joel mentioned, DHTML really shines through competition between Firefox and IE although I suspect IE7 will win again.

Gregg Tavares
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

I checked it out after your recommendation and I agree, they have done very very well. But for email, probably in my 2-3 applications I use all day every day, a Windows app still seems a lot nicer.

But for applications this I use less frequently, the kind of functionality without having to download and install an application is great.

Ben R
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Yeah, to me it seems like a damn shame that they put all that effort in to the web app, when anyone would easily prefer Outlook or another web interface like Gmail.

It is a very admirable thing, but it seems like almost an exercise in itself rather than a product.

Roose
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

I also happen to like the browser features like a back button and the ability to bookmark pages.

Matthew Lock
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

I get all of this for free using eGroupWare ( http://www.egroupware.org/ ) except that it also has pretty advanced calendering, polling, task tracking, and whole host of other things built in.

I host this on my server at home via my cable modem connection.

KC
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

It seems a bit pointless to make oddpost a web app when it only runs on IE.  Tried to check it out with Mozilla and couldn't.

Jason Dufair
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home