Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Will Oracle be my breakthrough?

Hi Peoples,
I live in Perth, Western Australia. This part of the world is not exactly top when it comes to I.T. work. I graduated from uni 4 years ago, and have done misc. types of work. Mainly in the db arena. I started a business with a colleague in Singapore, but it seems to be faltering because of issues arising with Colleague, clients and to be frank, my inexperience in the business line has played a part. I was  there for the past year, and now I'm back in Oz.
Now I feel like I'm at the crossroads, I was thinking of taking up an oracle certificate, I enquired at the oracle office, and they told me its 10k for the course. For those who have done it,  it is worth the investment?. Because that is surely alot of money which I don't have right now, but willing to save up for it.

JP
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Can't comment on the specifics of the Oracle course but I can tell you that in general, certification really only gives you a better chance of a foot in the door for a job interview.

Sure, it'll make you stand out as a cut above the rest but you'll still have to go through all the drama involved with hiring.

My feeling is that $10k spent on an Oracle course will probably only benefit Larry Ellison. ;-)  To that end, you're probably better off gaining experience and skills if you do so at someone elses expense.

TheGeezer
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

So far positive comments about certification here:

http://www.brainbox.com.au/brainbox/home.nsf/$all/8D82EC36A529BCCF49256EB4003C8B6A?opendocument

Walter Rumsby
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

I know several people who poured money into getting some kind of certification and saw nothing for it.

Unless you already have a clear and compelling idea of how it is going to pay off for you, I'd skip it.

Matt Conrad
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Uh, do you have to pay the money to get the cert? Can you do self-study?

Philo

Philo
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

If you know a bunch of companies hiring and you need a oracle certificate to get the job, then I guess it will be worth it.

However, just on its own? Hum. I don’t imagine so.

Why not grab a few books on oracle, download the personal edition and learn the stupid thing? The books and learning this will cost you less then $300.

The same goes for Microsoft sql-server. If you got the office cd, then you got the sql-server engine. Go and grab the Enterprise tools (they can be had fro free). Presto, you got all of the corporate sql server tools for free. Grab a few books. and again, you are on your way.

So, for a few 100 bucks,  you can learn both sql-serer AND oracle…..

Unless you know of a huge number of jobs where they are specialty asking for a certifcite..I don’t really see the advantage.

Ask your friends, and people you know in IT how they got their jobs. Did the certificate help them?

Look at all the business down the street, and ask what systems are they using? (and why?). In 99% of the cases, the business don’t purchase oracle, but they purchase solutions to a particular problem.  Just about every business I know purchases a photo-copier. And, likely, just about every business purchases accounting software. So, what platform, and database engine is the accounting software running on?

You need to look at what kind of software the business around you are consuming, and then learn those platforms. If those accounting systems are running Oracle, then likely business are consuming oracle, and thus will need people with Oracle skills. What system does your local government use? What system does the largest electrical supply company in your city use? If you are not asking this questions, and no company uses Oracle where you live. then what good is oracle?

Albert D. Kallal
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
kallal@msn.com
http://www.attcanada.net/~kallal.msn

Albert D. Kallal
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Nowadays certifications do have some value, at least when it comes to the Oracle Certified Professional.

Why?

Because  all the resumes look the same, everybody knows the same stuff, the same skill set: J2EE and/or .Net, Oracle and/or SQLServer, etc..

I have to review a bunch of resumes from day to day and they all look the same, exact copies from each other.

So certifications add some value, it's a good way to say "hey, I know this thing, just like everybody else, but I can prove it.."

The OCP is particularly valuable when applying for DBA jobs, I know of several places where they do the first cut by getting only certified candidates.

In the good old times certifications used to have bad press, specially among the gurus, the "I don't need a f*cking cert, I know kung-fu!" attitude, but now they can be something useful.

Just my 2 euro cents based on my limited experience.

Good luck!

Daniel Tio
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Good luck JP!

I moved to Perth a year ago. 3 months ago I got out of IT...just not the work available. (Back at Uni studying something totally different).

I did some Oracle Education courses a few years ago. They were very good, but how much use Oracle certifications are in the job market at the moment I have no idea.

Are you sure you want to be a DBA? Probably the dullest job I can imagine :)

Les C
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Albert,

for learning SQL Server I would suggest the 49.95$ developer edition over the Office one. Dev. ed. is SQL Serv er Enterprice and SQL Server CE. Office ed. is MSDE, no?

From http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinfo/planning/ChoosEd.doc (Word doc)

"SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition
This edition allows developers to build any type of application on top of SQL Server. It includes all of the functionality of Enterprise Edition but with a special development and test end-user license agreement (EULA) that prohibits production deployment (for complete details, see the SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition EULA at http://www.microsoft.com/sql. For maximum flexibility during development, it will install to the aforementioned server operating systems as well as Windows 2000 Professional and Windows NT Workstation 4.0.
SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition is the only edition of SQL Server 2000 that gives the licensee the right to download and install SQL Server 2000 Windows CE Edition (SQL Server CE) from http://www.microsoft.com/sql. The Developer Edition licensee also has the right to redistribute SQL Server CE-based applications to an unlimited number of devices at no additional cost beyond the purchase price of SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition. Devices running SQL Server CE that access or otherwise use the resources of a SQL Server must be properly licensed. For more information, see http://www.microsoft.com/sql.
SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition is the ideal choice for Independent Software Vendors (ISVs), consultants, system integrators, solution providers, and corporate developers developing and testing applications because it is cost effective, runs on a variety of platforms, and can be upgraded for production use to SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition."

Just me (Sir to you)
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Les C, what have you switched to?

Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Yeah Les, what did you switch too?. :)
Really interested in this point, man, looks I'm in a bit of a fix,,,or should I just move out of Perth?...hhmmmm

JP
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home