Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Another European City migrates to Linux

The second city of Norway has decided to dump MS.
Note the words "business model that is open and democratic".  Microsoft monopoly is like a huge dam. One or two tiny holes appear first. A few more holes next. And.......

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/linuxunix/0,39020390,39157677,00.htm

"The second part of the implementation will see the city's educational network migrate and consolidate from 100 Windows application servers to about 20 IBM eServer BladeCenters running Linux. "

"By migrating to Linux, the City of Bergen has a business model that is open and democratic and, we believe, that will ensure a greater degree of freedom of choice, more efficient operation and major cost savings that will benefit the citizens"

Anonymous Coward with Valid E Mail
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

In news just in, Birkenstock Municipality has chosen Epson printers to replace its five year old Canons.

Thankyou.

Love this stuff
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Whoa, I can't believe it. They tossed aside Microsoft in favor of IBM. That's going out on a flimsy limb. Taking a big chance there, they are.

Jack
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

I love the sound of "The City Of." When Bloomberg goes to the bathroom can I write a news article that says "The City of New York Takes a Dump" ???

Exactly how many computers are being converted here? The mayor's office? Local congress? All city services like garbage collection (which I hear Linux is very good at), and the Department of Motor Vehicles?

www.MarkTAW.com
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

I love it too, when you look at the fine print, you often find that the people getting to use the new Linux machines are the low level office grunts.

The muckety-mucks who decided that Linux was so superior actually keep their Microsoft software. I make no further comments on this, beyond highlighting the cant that it reveals.

Love this stuff
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

<<100 Windows application servers to about 20 IBM eServer BladeCenters running Linux. "
>>

Low level Office grunts? Are you a troll or something?.
This appears to be a massive migration.

Anonymous Coward with Valid E Mail
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

> Low level Office grunts? Are you a troll or something?.

Sorry. I meant in general. I wasn't referring to this particular case. Yes, you're correct, this case is a significant migration.

Love this stuff
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

The plot thickens.

TJ Haeser
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

" City of Bergen has a business model that is open and democratic and, we believe, that will ensure a greater degree of freedom of choice"

Freedom of choice...try expressing your freedom of speech or expression in that country, or virtually any other European country. They tend to get a little testy trusting people not to say unkind things so they have all kinds of laws dictating what you can and cannot say; what you can and cannot print; what you can and cannot stand for.

Don't be fooled.
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Just don't you worry Microsoft fanboys.  They'll ship that longhorn desktop thingy "real soon now"(tm)

It will come bundled with several vulnerabilities.  Probably like the uPnP that the FBI found a big enough deal to warn consumers on because the products vendor didn't care enough too.

In no way should these cities and businesses adopting Linux be a worry to you.  I mean, press like this surely doesn't get anyone looking at Linux. 

Maybe the monopoly will allow them to pull of one last victory.

Logical
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

I wonder how long it will take for them to recoup the migration costs?

www.ChristopherHawkins.com
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

> I wonder how long it will take for them to recoup the migration costs?

Not a problem. IBM Global Services is on the case. For a mere $100 million they're developing an ongoing platform resolution situation that will be rolled out over the next ten years.

Accenture has also brought in their global Open Source Wizards (TM) team to continue the cost savings. An absolute steal at $60 million.

Love this stuff
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

It'll be as successful as Munich. Not.

Their data processing applications will be the greatest barrier to migration, followed by all of their Office documents.

Their only hope of "successful" Linux migration is if they are using the desktop computers to host a terminal services client such as Citrix - in which case their is nothing "Linux" about it.

HeWhoMustBeConfused
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Yes, in some circles it's not "Underpromise and Overdeliver" it's "Underestimate and Overcharge."

"You can save $2 million a year by spending $3 million with us!"

www.MarkTAW.com
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Aside from all the pro- and anti- Linux banter, does anyone know how succesful these transitions have been?

And, we've seen a lot of Linux-noise in the public sector, but are we seeing anything similar in the corporate space?

Thanks,

Robert

Robert Smithson
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

The thing that scares me about all this stuff is this that I've been involved with city government, and I know what city politicians are like.

Generally nice people, able to say completely contradictory things to different groups five minutes apart, gearing up for the next party, concerned about rubbish, parking, overdevelopment, trees, bridges, that sort of thing.

They would have to be the dumbest group you would want choosing software strategies. Seriously. A lot of them still print out all their emails.

tree
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home