Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

U.S. declines to create do-not-spam list

"WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Bush administration will not immediately create a national do-not-spam registry to discourage unwanted e-mails, saying using current technology to do so might generate even more unsolicited sales pitches across the Internet, according to documents obtained Tuesday"

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/internet/06/15/internet.spam.ap/index.html

This-just-in
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

US declines in whatever that's important for mankind.

some guy
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

I wonder how the advocates of this system planned on enforcing it anyway? Without any way of identifing a spammer, or even prosecuting most of them, this sounds like it was destined to be another bureaucratic boondoggle.

Mark Hoffman
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

"US declines in whatever that's important for mankind."

You must of used all 3 of your brain cells to write that reply.

Firstly, it's a national do-not-spam list. Not international. So it's not as if the US is snubbing its nose at some international body.

Secondly, most spammers operate overseas anyway. How do you propose that the US prosecutes these guys?

For those of us with more than your 3 brain cells, we can see this for what it is: A worthless attempt by politicans to claim that they are doing something to fight spam, all the while it's really nothing more than a waste of taxpayer dollars.

Get a clue.

Ja
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

"US declines in whatever that's important for mankind. "

Global warming and Kyoto for instance?

obeserver who doesn't like to observer
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

"Can't we all just get along?"

For the children...

Rodney
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Ja

Looking for a job at Hailburton? you stupid little sad man!

obeserver who doesn't like to observer
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

If there was a national do-not-spam list, what is keeping a spam house from buying this list and using it as a known source of good email addresses?

Charley Bogwill
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Which part of these facts don't you understand:

1. That it's a national call list, therefore it can't be enforced overseas.

2. Most spammers operate overseas.

3. The combination of point 1 and point 2 mean that the list would do absolutely nothing to protect consumers.

4. The creation and administration of this list would cost taxpayer money.

5. Wasting taxpayer money is bad.

Now, you can run around and pretend that Bush is cozying up to big business, but spammers aren't big business and this attempt is just an attempt by politicans to get a soundbite at election time.

And apparently, some of you are stupid enough to believe it without applying even an iota of critical thinking.

Ja
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

I am actually relieved about this.  The spam list would be useless anyway.  One of my biggest fears is that the government will try to paw its way further into the Internet.  The last thing I want is FCC regulations where I have to wonder if the use of "turd" is appropriate or not before I post in my blog. 

One thing that bugs me are these Homeland Security virus alerts that are basically the same thing that CERT has put out for free for years.  What a waste of tax payers dollars.

christopher baus (www.baus.net)
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Wake up fellas. This is an election year in the USA. Politicians are all running around introducing garbage legislation so they can go home in September and say "I personally saved blah blah blah....".

Come January this will all be forgotten.

Tom H
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

"Secondly, most spammers operate overseas anyway. How do you propose that the US prosecutes these guys?"  sent by overseas spammers controlling home user machines  running Windows in the US that is.

"Global warming and Kyoto for instance?"
I'm sure the people in Siberia would probably actually welcome global warming.  --- IF it were happening.  It's not.  It's a NORMAL climate fluctuation.  It has been warmer and colder in the past too.    Kyoto is a great deal for everyone but us.  The US was smart not to sign it.

You enviro hippy liberals need to get clued up. 

Mike
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Nah, global warming isn't happening, there's no hole in the ozone layer, ice isn't melting in the Antarctic and carbon dioxide levels aren't rising and the continental US doesn't produce 25% of global emissions a year.

Its the squealing you can hear across the Atlantic when petrol/gas prices go up which is most amusing.

Simon Lucy
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

"I'm sure the people in Siberia would probably actually welcome global warming."

Not if they get flooded due to increased rainfall, or if they're subject to longterm drought conditions due to decreased rainfall.

Also, if they rely on reindeer for food, higher temperatures might not be a good thing if they lose that food source and none is available to replace it.

Jon Hendry
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home