Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Firefox 0.9 has bad UI problems

I have just installed FireFox 0.9, and found several bad UI problems:

1. The bookmark management is badly broken. I want all my bookmarks sorted and the folders placed at the top.

While I can drag and drop a bookmark or a folder, I would like an option to automatically sort all bookmarks, with folders on top.

FireFox does not provide such an option.

2. In Options -> Advanced -> Browsing there is an option to always show the tabs toolbar even if there is only one page open, but it doesn't work.

Because is doesn't work, each time I have only one document open and I CTRL+Click a link to open a new tab, the tabs toolbar appears and the document "jumps down".

3. Shift+Click doesn't work the way it should.

In other existing tabbed browsers, which existed way before FireFox, such as NetCaptor and MyIE2, Shift+Click on a link opens a new TAB.

In FireFix, Shift+Click on a link opens a new FireFox Window, and for opening a new tab I have to press CTRL+Click.

I can't get used to the changed key, and there is no way to configure this.

4. Bookmark search is broken.

If I have a bookmark folder named Stocks, and in it I have a bookmark named IBM, then that bookmark should show when I search for "stocks".

Or, at least there should be an option to do so.

5. When typing keywords in the address box, it defaults to the "I'm feeling lucky" search.

In other tabbed browsers which appeared many years before FireFox, this does a normal Google search.

Also, I don't like the search box. I want the address box to be the search box, because I can reach it with a simple shortcut.

I could not find a way to customize this, but I shall keep trying.

UI problems #1 and #4 above are very important for serious web users who have a lot of bookmarks.

While FireFox has a lot of good features, the 4 features above stop me from using it.

I shall keep using MyIE2 for now.

If FireFox will implement the 5 features above, I shall switch to FireFox.

heavy browser user
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

For problem #5, just get rid of the search box and install GoogleBar from http://googlebar.mozdev.org/  It works fine in Firefox 0.9 and gives you most of the features of Google! Toolbar in IE.

Ben Combee
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

+++3. Shift+Click doesn't work the way it should.+++

I'm sorry, I'm no big fan of FireFox, but statements like this are ridiculous.  Simply because other, predecessor applications did something in a particular way, or used a particular key shortcut, does not mean that all similiar applications which follow MUST do the same.

Yes, having a shallow learning curve is a Good Thing (tm), however, how the Hell will you ever have innovation if every application that's ever developed must rigidly follow the forumulae of it's predecessors?  That's just a ridiculous expectation.

If you're going to use a wholly different browser app, get used to wholly different UI conventions.  You sound like a whiner.  Your entire post has no credibility thanks to that one ridiculous point.

muppet is now from madebymonkeys.net
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Have you checked out their RFE list?

I'm using 0.8 and I'm quite happy with it.  Besides, whenever a new version of anything comes out, I try to wait a while to use it.

My rule of thumb:
For Open Source apps, I try to wait about 1-2weeks.

For Commercial apps, I try to wait until the first update/service pack is out.

KC
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Well then keep to your IE and spyware/adware/bho's and stfu

Mike
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

> 3. Shift+Click doesn't work the way it should.
<SNIP>
> In FireFix, Shift+Click on a link opens a new FireFox Window, and for opening a new tab I have to press CTRL+Click.

Click on a link with the middle mouse button. Even better than Shift Clicking. Enjoy.

SC
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

> 2. In Options -> Advanced -> Browsing there is an option to always show the tabs toolbar even if there is only one page open, but it doesn't work.

It may be a bug (I don't have the problem on my system) but there is a simple resolution. Type about:config in the address bar, find the browsers.tabs.autohide property and set to false.

In the meantime, verify if it is a bug, check the Bug DB and if it doesn't exist, raise an issue and help the community.

SC
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

mmmmmmmmmmmm... half-wits that think that every app should be exactly the same.

...it's a pity that when they ask for stuff like this they're almost directly asking for a complete lack of innovation.

Arron
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

2 is simply solved by re-starting the program...

el
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

what the hell is a heavy browser user?

Most of your comments say that features are "broken" but they are not borken. They just work another way then you expect. Stop making assumptions.

trollbooth
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

I'm almost certain in earlier versions there was an option to specify whether shift-click opened new window or a new tab, but if it was there, it seems to be gone now.  Maybe it was in Mozilla.

Which suits me fine.  That was the first thing I checked (again, if I'm not imagining the whole thing) with every new version of Phoenix/Firebird/Firefox (since 0.3).  I  wonder if they deliberately phased it out over time so as to give the population time to adapt to the one and only right way to browse multiple pages :-)

What is the purpose of tabs if not to eliminate the need for multiple windows just to read multiple pages?

offMyMeds
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

<...it's a pity that when they ask for stuff like this they're almost directly asking for a complete lack of innovation>
+
<how the **** will you ever have innovation if every application that's ever developed must rigidly follow the forumulae of it's predecessors?>

agree.
innovation in software responds to new needs in the market, performance improvement, etc,  but also to innovations in competitor's products. certainly, there must be a reason for such differences in Firefox 0.9... only time will say if the innovations work

Cecilia Loureiro
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Display your bookmarks in the Sidebar (F9) then when you right click on a folder you have options for "Sort Folder..." amd "Sort Folder by Name".

Download some extensions.  I have an extension to display Flash as an arrow - the actual flash only shows on demand by clicking on the arrow.  I have one that allows me to right click on an image and zoom in/out.  This works on all images.  I can right click on an obnoxious animated image and tell the browser to remove it.  There's dozens of them to do most anything you can think off.

Set your tabbed browsing so a middle click makes the window open in a new tab.  I have mine to do that in the background so I can go down a list of links middle clicking all the links, each of which opens in a new tab.  Then I go thru tab by tab letting the others load in the background.  I love that feature.

In no time you'll be wondering why people put up with crap like Internet Explorer.

5v3n
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

"Click on a link with the middle mouse button. Even better than Shift Clicking. Enjoy."

THIS IS BRILLIANT. I can click a link with the mouse-wheel and it opens a new tab. I'm convinced. Sign me up!

Captain McFly
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

The only 'problem' that I don't like is that the mouse-wheel scroll is noticably slower than IE. For example, starting at the top of this thread, clicking the wheel once (to move into free-scroll mode) and slamming the mouse all the way to the bottom of the screen does not move instantaneously to the bottom of the page like IE does. I'll get used to it, or find a setting which controls the scroll speed (turning on smooth scrolling didn't make it faster).

Captain McFly
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

OP>>>
Ho ho! thats supposed to be bad UI problems? Thats quite possibly the most anal retentive post I have seen on this board yet. And that says alot.

Eric Debois
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Hey, OP, thanks for your feedback. But why the hell are you posting it here?

Here's the site to submit bugs and feature suggestions for firefox:

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/

Bill Tomlinson
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

The search box doesn't work as described by the OP.  At least on my PC using Firefox 0.9, I get the regular good search when I use the box.  Quite possibly the OP has his browser misconfigured.  Most definitely I think that he's a whiney little wanker, probably works in management, and most definitely has pointy hair.

Clay Dowling
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

I just tried Firefox 0.9 and QUICKLY switched back to 0.8.

Want to know why?

Because the icons in the 0.9 header are TOO FREAKING BIG and ugly. Why didn't they keep the icons from 0.8 or at least allow you to use those as well? They are the perfect size and are nice looking without being overly complicated.

Oh well maybe 1.0 will fix this problem.

Gil Milow
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

I like the big icons in 0.9 much more than the small ones of 0.8.  Maybe it's because my eyeballs are over 40 years old, I donno.

I love the 'clock on mousewheel' thing!  Damn, learn something new all the time.

Seems the live365 page has figured out how to get around pop-up blocking, when I listen to one of their stations with WinAmp I get a popup ad every 15-20 minutes.

Snotnose
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

No, that's not a firefox feature.  Putting a clock on the mousewheel requires hardware upgrades.  I meant click.

Snotnose
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

There's one, largely unhelpful answer, to all those 'it doesn't do what I wanna'.

Change it yourself. 

Discovering how to change all the icon sizes will teach you more about CSS than most of the textbooks and recipe sites.

Simon Lucy
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Gil, switch to the Qute theme and you will get your old  0.8 icons back

K
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

2. You got used to the IE dance, you'll get used to this. Hit CTRL + T every time you launch the program and you'll get your tab bar.

4. Hit CTRL + B to open the bookmarks in a side pane and search to your heart's delight.

www.MarkTAW.com
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Gil,

Right click on the icon bar, and select "customize".  There's a checkbox there to use small icons.

Justin Johnson
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Regarding the OPs comment about Google search in the address bar...

1) Create a bookmark to Google with the following address:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=%s&btnG=Google+Search

(note the %s)

2) Assign the bookmark a keyword. I use "gg"

3) Go to the address bar, type "gg Search phrase"

It has some minor hiccups, like if you need to search for a phrase that has a # sign in it, but I use that for everything.

In fact, I got IE to do the same thing. I simply pointed search.microsoft.com to my localhost and put up a dumme search.asp file that then redirects to the google search.

Cory

CF
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

ie autosearch is configurable somehow in the registry. looks like google provides this info

http://blogs.msdn.com/okoboji/archive/2003/11/03/54538.aspx
points to
http://www.google.com/google.reg

mb
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

The people who read bugzilla are much more likely to fix (real) problems than the JOS folks.

fool for python
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Yes, but we're much more likely to play his little game.

www.MarkTAW.com
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Oh, man, I don't like the colours. I'll stick with telnet.

Wednesday, June 16, 2004

you forgot to mention:

6. googlebar takes up its own horizontal row, theres now way to make it share space with for example the tab bar. this is a waste of space. as is:

7. can't hide the menu bar without going full screen

8. cant middle or double click on tabs to close them

9. lots of fancy dhtml doesnt work in firefox, and before you complain about 'standards' i have used a lot of MSDN stuff in my own pages beacuse quite simply the features didnt exist in other browsers and i thought they were cool and wanted to use them.

10. its slow. scrolling is chunky compared to ie based browsers. i find this to be the case on windows as well as linux

11. window.open() in javascript always pops up in front of you, theres a few hacks out there that are supposed to fix it via plugins, but none of them worked for me

12.  can't middle click and drag to scroll

13. fonts are uglier, especially on linux, than cleartype + XP

14. takes forever to launch, especially on linux, compared to slimbrowser on  windows, and i dont think ms is preloading mshtml.dll anymore...

15. it loads all images into RAM uncompressed. if you go to a page with a ton of huge images, it will jsut go nuts and fill up swap with gigs of crap. ive repeatedly crashed all of X windows doing this, and gotten windwos to hte point i had to ctrl-alt-del and wait 10 seconds to kill firefox. opera somehow has no issues with teh same pages, by either using less idiotic caching, or something...it just works.

ok..im running out of ideas. but the bottom line, kids, is FireFox sux. i really think people just use it because of some sort of need to feel 'different' liek teh way kids hate bands when they 'sell out' . but thats best left for another discussion.

SlimBrowser forever!!!

carmen
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Re: Problem #2: This problem can be fixed with the Blank Last extension:

http://update.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=175&vid=334&category=

Also, to close Firefox tabs with a single click, install the Tab X extension from here:

http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/clav/

Or, as an alternative, install Opera, which isn't plagued by such issues...

Anon
Thursday, August 12, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home