Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Good Strategy, Joel!

Nice post, about a good browser, innovation and a cheap shot at M$. I bet noone will flame you now, way to go!
It's way easier than growing a thick screen to protect a fragile ego! *g, d & rvvf*

Mauricio Macedo
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Nice post, it's way easier to be critical than to stick your own neck out.

Tuesday, June 15, 2004

see the thread below this one, smart pants... I do stick my neck out, and did think Joesl's post was strategically perfect. Be it intentional or not!

Mauricio Macedo
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Embrace and extend.
Joel couldn't keep out the /. rifraf, so he decided to embrace them :-).

Just kidding, Joel.
Welcome back.

Just me (Sir to you)
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

How is posting a blog entry about how Firefox is a great product = a cheap shot at MS?

Clay Whipkey
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

You shouldn't change software because of a "You'll help break the Microsoft Monopoly on web browsers. " argument. Besides for some, monopoly is a good thing (in truth, STANDARDS are a good thing, but in this capitalist worls, most of times STANDARD==MONOPOLY).  At the time NS had 70% of the market and MS had 30% growing fast, it was a bitch to test everything on both. The "best viewed with" buttons were everywhere...

Mauricio Macedo
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

I think the "break the MS monopoly on web browsers" was petty. I would've said "you'll encourage growth and competition in the browser space," (or a variation on that theme) which IMHO would've been more accurate.

"Break the monopoly" is negativism - it's attacking a target for the sake of attacking the target. "Encourage competition" is positive - it benefits everyone.

My $.02

[disclaimer: I am a Microsoft employee, and this post solely represents my opinion and not that of my employer]

Philo

Philo
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

I am a Microsoft employee, and this post solely represents my opinion and not that of my employer.

What is your employres opinion on that matter?

ignore my ignorance
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

> it's attacking a target for the sake of attacking the target

No, it's exactly the right words. Microsoft _has_ a monopoly (in part because their bundling, and don't tell me that doesn't matter a LOT) and they _have_ been sitting on it without advancing the software jack for years.

Not a cheap shot at all.

_
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

I agree. They have been sitting on IE for quite a while.

Though, what’s the motivation for pushing it forward? It’s a classic piece of bundled software which most users are content with. Like Calculator, Notepad, and Paint, their users are just glad it’s there and it works. Those who expect more from their software will never be satisfied with anything that’s bundled. They’ll go out and find, purchase, or build software as they envision it. I don’t see the point of wringing my fist in the air, blaming mediocrity of bundled software on a supposed monopoly. What did you expect?

jfm424
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

The problem with IE is that it has broken implementations of the "standards". It means extra work for web coders and its pretty darn annoying.

Eric Debois
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

...meaning, Joel and others do the right thing when they support firefox as will eventually pressure MS to fix IE.

Eric Debois
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Maurício, você por acaso não seria o Maurício Macedo do Recomendado?

TJ Haeser
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Oops, sorry for the Portuguese. Anyway, are you the same Maurício Macedo from SmartMedia?

TJ Haeser
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Yeah. Unfortunately? Recomendado is my implementation of a social network, but it's been lacking major features. :-) Drop me an e-mail, the link works.

Mauricio Macedo
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home