Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

He is back, He is back

He is back!! let me read the new article

Berlin Brown
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

I just realized from reading Joel's piece today that FireFox also has a tabbed interface which I thought only Opera had.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/why/

Cool!

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Oh God.

You didn't knew that?

RP
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

The inventor of tabbed browsers is Adam Stiles of NetCaptor!

His product is available at http://www.netcaptor.com/

Netcaptor uses IE as the browser engine.

Other tabbed browsers which use IE are:

MyIE2 http://www.myie2.com/

AvantBrowser (not sure which URL).

I am currently using MyIE2, which is free and loaded with useful features, such as RoboForm compatibility.

RoboForm is an excellent form filler from http://www.roboform.com/

I am posting this so people know there are IE-based tabbed browsers.

Don't let the open source folks win! Fight for programming as a paid profession!

Michael
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

>You didn't __knew__ that?

Where do you belong, RP?

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

You should rethink your argument. Both MyIE2 and IE itself cost nothing.

Rhys Keepence
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

>Don't let the open source folks win! Fight for programming as a paid profession!

I'm almost certain that's a troll, but if not, you've fallen victim to the fallacy that use of open source software precludes one from getting paid to develop software. That's simply not true. It is not about "winning." If you can find any single FOSS advocate who wants you to stop getting paid to be a software developer, I would imagine that individual is a sociopath in other ways as well.

I've been getting paid quite well beyond my needs for over a decade now without requiring a whole lot other than FOSS. I use non-FOSS and have even written a bit for my employers when business needs dictated it. Whether the source of what I wrote was open or proprietary made not one whit of difference in my getting paid.

Oh, and Opera is not FOSS.

Evan Wired
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Up there, with all the beautifull people who use tabbed browsing.

RP
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

>Don't let the open source folks win! Fight for programming
>as a paid profession!

Who do you think uses the vast majority of open source software?

Let the open source folks win, minimize duplication of effort, maximize the value you generate for the customer, eliminate the commercial bottlenecks (ie: corporate control of software infrastructure).

Unless you enjoy paying taxes to Microsoft, Oracle, etc.

Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Errr.. definitely a troll.

Companies will ALWAYS need custom software or at the very least, will always need developers to modify/configure existing software to meet their needs.  Open Source has little to nothing to do with developers getting paid.

If anything, Open Source should INCREASE your opportunities and available tools.

muppet is now from madebymonkeys.net
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Firefox is pretty cool but I still like Opera much better.

One feature of Opera 7.5 that I like and use often is the native RSS support.

Also, Opera's GUI is pretty solid. Coming from the Visual Studio.net world, I like the panel on the left side that opens and closes as needed - reminds me of the toolbox in .net. It contains your bookmarks, email, RSS and other main functions.

Gen'xer
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Funny - I do like Opera (I even paid for it) but I'm not keen on the rss implementation.  I find the rss reader extension for firefox much simpler & easier to use. 

Ah well, each to their own.

a cynic writes...
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

> If anything, Open Source should INCREASE your opportunities ...

Yes. Your opportunity to stay a low-paid wage slave for the rest of your life.

Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Even if Open Source software reaches 100% of the users and businesses, there will *always* be a need for customization.

Look at the auto industry.  Cars have been around for 100 years and you can get them in every color, every style, and all kinds of options....  but there's still a huge customization market out there that makes some major cash.

KC
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

1.  Most well known open source developers are paid to write open source software.

2.  Even if you don't agree with ESR I would recommend reading his paper "The Magic Cauldron":

http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/magic-cauldron/

3.  The Internet as we know it probably wouldn't exist without free software and open standards.  How many technical jobs do you think were created because of the Internet?

Anonymous
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

I'm all for Open Source.

Hey, I think it's great all these dorks wanna sit around and give away their work. Many of them are exceptionally bright. Although, not bright enough to understand that their time is worth something.

The rest of us are smart enough to realize that our time is worth money, so we're happy to take advantage of these clueless slaves to make our lives easier.

So please don't listen to the critics of OSS. I want to continue to take advantage of you giving your time away for free while I bill my time at $125/hour.

Thanks!

Freebie
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Along the same lines as the previous poster...

Are there any lawyers specializing in Open Source Law? I need some legal work done and I don't really feel like paying for it. Any laywers want to work for free so they can feel better about themselves because they are helping to overthrow the Evil Corporate Law Firms?

I also this pain in my side...Any doctors want to capitalize on the Open Source craze? You can fight those money hungry hospitals by giving away your time to me. For free, of course.

Finally, I've got to take a trip to DC this summer. I was hoping to find an Open Source pilot to fly me. I don't wanna pay, but you can take comfort in the fact that you'r stickin' it to those huge airlines with their poor service! You'll show them while you're flying me around for free!

Oh Brother
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

How 'bout, how 'bout some open source prostitutes? :-P

Wisea**
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

"If you can find any single FOSS advocate who wants you to stop getting paid to be a software developer, I would imagine that individual is a sociopath in other ways as well."

Ah, so that is the term for RMS.

MacSqueeb
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

+++> If anything, Open Source should INCREASE your opportunities ...

Yes. Your opportunity to stay a low-paid wage slave for the rest of your life. +++

Really?  Explain your rationale for this.  If I'm a software consultant/developer, and I've got an arsenal of FOSS that I can bring into your environment and get paid to modify/configure for you, with the only charge to you being my time (and not the licenses for the shrinkwrap alternative), then how is this harming me?  I can make a good deal more money on the deal because now I am selling only my time, which the client can afford to buy more of, since he doesn't have to purchase exorbitant licenses.

Nearly every (every) implementation goes over budget, or consultants are lassoed into working unpaid overtime, when the initial estimates turn out to be optimistic and much more time needs to be spent.  With licensing fees a non-issue, it should be much easier to convince a client company to shell out a realistic figure for man hours.

muppet is now from madebymonkeys.net
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

To the previous posters:

1)  Many Lawyers do work pro bono, and there are some organisations.  eg. http://www.probono.net/

2)  Open Source software involves committment, making it  more like a partner or wife than a prostitute.

Still, if you define a free prostitute as anybody you can sleep with without having to make a cash payment, then a wife would fit that description.

On the other hand, perhaps it is possible to recognise that there do exist worthwhile benefits that are not measured in hard currency.

Ged Byrne
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

What? He's not back. That's a pre-written (notice no 0.9 specific info) piece someone clicked PUBLISH on today when someone from Mozilla called up Joel's office, and the last check they sent cleared.

www.MarkTAW.com
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

>Ah, so that is the term for RMS.

Go ahead, produce a quote that indicates that RMS (or ESR or anyone else in the FOSS celebrity layer) wants you or any other programmer to not get paid for their work.

RMS may be a leftist whack-job, and ESR may be a right-winger whack-job, but I don't think either of them ever had any fantasies of geeks going hungry.

Evan Wired
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

http://www.gnu.org/gnu/manifesto.html comes pretty close though.

Just me (Sir to you)
Thursday, June 17, 2004

From the GNU Manifesto:

>  The real reason programmers will not starve is that it will still be possible for them to get paid for programming; just not paid as much as now.

He's right, though not due to FOSS' influence. Wage pressure from overseas outsourcing is likely to be more influential on programmers' paychecks than the effects of FOSS in the workplace.

Evan Wired
Thursday, June 17, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home