Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Philo are you a brown-noser?

If that is so, as a poster on a previous thread asserts, could I trouble you to suck up to me a little?  I've been feeling down.

name withheld out of cowardice
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Yes, me too. I have self-esteem issues. :-P

Wisea**
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Philo's self-esteem self-help:
1) Look in the mirror. Say, in a sincere voice, "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and gosh darn it, I like me."
2) Move out of your parents' basement.

Hope that helps,
Philo

Philo
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Many thanks, Sir Philo. :-P

Wisea**
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Ha-ha... my parents don't have a basement!  And anyway I moved out last November.

Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Philo:

I thought this was your scenario:

"Standing in front of mirror repeating to yourself, 'I am not a loser, I am not a loser even though everyone in this board believes so.'"

[Disclaimer: I don't work for Microsoft, Philo does]

Jason
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

[shrug] I don't get any kind of validation from what this board thinks about me.

What I like most about this board is the broad cross-section of developers that post - it keeps me out of the ".Net is everything" mindset and in touch with what the rest of the world is doing.

And if I can occasionally help someone out with a MS-centric issue, that's fun, too.

Philo

Philo
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Jason, that's just mean.

Exception guy
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Jason,

What is wrong with you?

Bad hair day?
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

This isn't highschool guys, why do you have to act like it is?

Aussie Chick
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Aussie Chick is right, but I meant no harm or offense to Philo, who (whom?) I consider to be one of the more thoughtful posters here.

Wisea**
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Philo's visible, so he's a lightning rod. It's just the public BBS discussion board way.

Also, we seem to have run out of really interesting topics, so character assassination is always a fun and reliable standby.

Bored Bystander
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

"it keeps me out of the ".Net is everything" mindset and in touch with what the rest of the world is doing. "

So you actually believe that .NET is not everything and there's light outside of the Redmond empire. That's a good thing.

Don't forget your morning rituals in front of the mirror as explained above.

[Disclaimer: I don't work for Microsoft, Philo does]

Jason
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Philo, where's your office? How about we all drop round for lunch tomorrow?

In DC soon
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

935 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20535

Go to the top floor. In the office I go by Jack, so just shout out "Hi"

Philo

Philo
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Just to be clear (though I assume you all are referring to Jason) my post was not intended as character assassination but rather as a light hearted response to character assassination in a previous thread.

Wednesday, June 16, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home