Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Recent Graduate

I was just looking through reading various interesting topics as I often do and I thought this would be a great place to seek some advice !
I have just finished a degree in Software Engineering at University of Westminster (London, England) which I have to say got boring towards the end of the third and final year.
Although it may seem wierd considering the degree I did but I have found Programming 'not as enjoyable as anticipated,' to be euphamistic however the largest project I embarked on was a Draughts game with A.I.
Throughout my degree I enjoyed Requirements Engineering modules most and think it would be a shame to go into a completely different area of employment so was wondering if anyone had any advice on where and what to look for in a job based on what I have mentioned ?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Chris

cHRIS
Monday, June 14, 2004

"Requirements Engineering modules "

Do you mean  : the process of gather requirements for a program and specifiying what the program should do?

Do you enjoy the human side of development more than the technical side?

If so, perhaps you could work as an analyst, etc.

(Somebody has to be the human contact with the customer for all of those indian programmers doing the grunt work, right?)

Mr. Analogy
Monday, June 14, 2004

I was indeed refering to "the process of gathering requirements for a program and specifiying what the program should do?"

Personally this was the most interesting area but don't know how a graduate without experiance would get such a job or even a junior type position that relates well to the desired job !

perhaps I should give software development a miss....

cHRIS
Monday, June 14, 2004

I don't know if there are as many positions as existed during the bubble, but the big accounting/consulting firms used to hire "analysts" by the gross. Grist for the mill and all that. The hours were long, and the pay mediocre, but it was a good way to gain experience quickly. Just a suggestion. YMMV in the UK.

Rob VH
Monday, June 14, 2004

You might want to try applying for a few technology consultancies - Accenture and Logica CMG spring to mind.

They will hire you as an analyst and that is what you'll mostly do, gather requirements etc.

I know that Accenture analysts used to do quite a bit of programming but I think that is on the decrease now due to the creation of Accenture Technology Solutions.

Take a look at their web sites and find out if you'd enjoy that work / lifestyle.

James 'Smiler' Farrer
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Whether you want to stay in Analysis or not, I would recommend keeping your skills somewhat sharp.

You Analyst skills will obviously be a majority of what you use, but having some development skills/knowledge will add credibility when you have to sit down with the developers.  Besides, then you can describe yourself as "well-rounded, with a variety of skills".

KC
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

The big tech-consultants are the best options.  Accenture, EDS, Price, IBM...
There´s have a lot of "Proposal Writing", "Functional Specification", "Interacting with the Client" king of thing.
It´s exactly what I do.
But unlike you, I hate it, and am I´m looking for a hard-core-low-level-programming kind of job.
I´m just hesitating the turnaround a bit cause it feels like a promising carreer here at Accenture (analyst, consultant, manager...).
The bad-side is the higher the position, the less contact with code and technical and more with Excel, Word, Documentation and reports.
Any sugestions??
Is it really necessary to to get away form the technical in order to make more money??

Ronaldo
Monday, June 21, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home