Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Video Capture?

Can anyone recommend a PCI card to do video capture? Basically I want to take the outputs on my VCR and capture the output to MPG. I don't need a tuner, and it doesn't have to be uber-high-end.

Philo

Philo
Monday, June 14, 2004

http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/prods_pcis.html

Kalani
Monday, June 14, 2004

Second the Hauppage cards as probably the best inexpensive choice.

You can find lots of information on all kinds of video hardware and software at http://www.videoguys.com/ .

Herbert Sitz
Monday, June 14, 2004

Speaking of which, I've never heard Hauppauge pronounced. Could someone write how it sounds approximately? :-)

Fred
Monday, June 14, 2004

haw-pidge

/not an entymologist, just taking an edu-ma-cated guess

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Monday, June 14, 2004

/still not an etymologist, also not a speller :-p

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Monday, June 14, 2004

Believe it or not, the proper pronunciation of 'Hauppauge' is part of their FAQ.  Answer: it sounds like 'Hop Hog':

http://www.hauppauge.com/html/faq.htm#HOPHOG

Herbert Sitz
Monday, June 14, 2004

Rule #1 of marketing -- don't name your company or product something that nobody can pronounce!

Almost Anonymous
Monday, June 14, 2004

My guess would've been Haw Pawg because of Hauppauge, New York.

The ATI All-In-Wonder is pretty cool. It also comes with nifty software that lets you do the TiVO thing on your PC. I got mine for around $80. You'll have to go somewhere else for reviews though.

www.MarkTAW.com
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Oh. One important question, relevant to Philo, does these video cards come with any copy protection hardware/software implanted in them? You know, the same kind that doesn't let you copy VHS tapes or DVD's even though you own them.

www.MarkTAW.com
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

* do these cards.

or

* does either of these cards.

but

not what I typed the first time.

www.MarkTAW.com
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Television signals can be protected by Macrovision. I think this is just one bit somewhere in the datapart of the signal. The current crop of ATI drivers / software will prevent you from copying Macrovision protected content.  However there are some cracks on the net to circumvent this

Jan Oosting
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

ATI All-In-Wonder.

I've been using it since November '01 and I love it.  It was about $45 or 50 then.

KC
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

I have an ATI All-in-Wonder, that's why I want to split the cards - because when you put all your eggs in one basket...

I'd much rather get a new video card (ATI Radeon 9800), get that working, then put in a video capture card and wrestle with that.

As for copy protection, I've never heard of any proposal to copy-protect media automatically; every solution I've seen requires protecting the media when it's produced.

Philo

Philo
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Our users at SnapStream pretty much recommend for everyone to use an hardware encode board for capture, like the Hauppauge PVR-250.

All-In-Wonder's work for viewing live TV, but there are all sorts of weird things with encoding in software and compatibility issues with integrating the display adapter with the capture card that cause many, many problems.

Richard Kuo
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home