Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Good reading while Joel is on sebatacle.

Don Box's spoutlet pointed me to:
http://caustictech.typepad.com/caustictech/

It's a nice nihilistic developer blog that'll surely make you feel strangely better about any problem you might be having.

Of course, I've been reading it for 10 minutes now and still can't get enough . . . so my opinion might be biased.

Anon
Monday, June 14, 2004

yah, I know its "Sabbatical" but it got you to read this post, now didn't it?    :)

Anon
Monday, June 14, 2004

nice advertisement beach.

That site sucks big time FYI :-)

Anon
Monday, June 14, 2004

that guy writes like a sixteen year old.  Are you kidding?

muppet is now from madebymonkeys.net
Monday, June 14, 2004

Yea, come on, I know you want to be cool or something but using the f**k bomb and s**t bomb repeatedly in an essay is so fifth grade.

Berlin Brown
Monday, June 14, 2004

I stopped reading after the first couple of "bad words" - very juvenile and unnecessary.

On a similar theme, does anyone watch Six Feet Under? Saw the season 4 premiere last night, and while I think the show is great, I do wish they'd cut back on the completely awkward and gratuitous `swear words' (particularly the f-bomb). I'm not a puritan by any measure of the imagination, but when naughty words are basically force-fed to give a gritty, "real-world" ambiance, it almost becomes insulting.

Dennis Forbes
Monday, June 14, 2004

His choice of words are definitely "over-seasoned", but there is some humor burried underneath the filth . . .

Anon
Monday, June 14, 2004

there is some trite and overly-cliched humor.  He doesn't make any new points or even present any old ones in an interesting light.  It's just a lousy site.

Monday, June 14, 2004

Geez, I thought *my* rants were complete tripe, but this clown has me beat hollow. Completely worthless - I'm surprised Box recommended it.  I may disagree on occasion with our illustrious host here on JOS, but at least his postings are thoughtful, well-reasoned, and informative.

W Michael Ealem
Monday, June 14, 2004

Lighten up, people . . . this gentleman's site isnt much different than Joel's . . . all the self-rightiousness, none of the cleanliness.  ;)

Anon
Monday, June 14, 2004

none of the writing or composition ability, none of the eloquence or articulation.

Not that I think Joel is so hot either, but his writing comes across as professional.  This other guy just seems like he could have saved a few hosting dollars and gotten a livejournal or something.

Monday, June 14, 2004

My God.  He must be a very bitter VB developer that couldn't make the .net cut.

Mike
Monday, June 14, 2004

And Joel actually offered some insight into and advice about the software-development process -- and business. You can agree or disagree with what he says, but at least it's not just unstructured venting (I'd say "whining" but my mom taught me to be polite).

John C.
Monday, June 14, 2004

I thought it was pretty amusing. Hardly comparable to Joel's site, which offers up well-written nuggets of software development wisdom where this guy offers seething rants. There's space for both, I'm sure, and whilst swearing isn't big or clever you must admit it is still pretty cool.

Anyway, bookmarked! this site made my day. Thank you.

Tom
Monday, June 14, 2004

----"whilst swearing isn't big or clever you must admit it is still pretty cool."----

It's cool if you're about seven years old. Most of the rest of us grow out of it well before puberty.

The guy's got nothing to say and says that nothing exceptionally badly. And as the studies would lead one to believe,  fails completely to recognize his own incompetence.

Stephen Jones
Monday, June 14, 2004

It's like he's trying to be Hani over at BileBlog.  Except Hani's about a million times more clever.

Mike
Monday, June 14, 2004

Waaaay too bombastic, and not nearly insightful enough to make up for it.  He's coming off like a tenth-rate Jonathan Goodyear.

Christopher Hawkins
Monday, June 14, 2004

> Anyway, bookmarked!
The new term is "Subscribed!" :)

Monday, June 14, 2004

After reading the much discussed article I am of mised opinion, I think the site does have a "Joel", rant style approach which is interesting to read and some humorous issues are raised I was alarmed when I read a section

"in addition to having world class spelling skills, they also seem to have a uncanny mastery of the rules of capitalization. however i have noticed a slight dyslexic tendency to confuse the number 3 with the capital letter E."

I think that this guy is most likely Intelligent but enjoys writing the way he does which is extreamly wierd !

cHRIS
Monday, June 14, 2004

mixed opinion !

cHRIS
Monday, June 14, 2004

The gratuitous swearing does add some interesting irony when he says things like

"please when in doubt just follow a few simple rules and you should be able to hopefully talk like a f***ing normal human being..."

Kyralessa
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home