Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Retro Computers

Saw this on a Slashdot link today, bizzare: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1247&item=5102129686&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Matthew Lock
Monday, June 14, 2004

You mean your garage *doesn't* look like that?

a cynic writes...
Monday, June 14, 2004

*damn*
no competition pro joysticks

Full name:
Monday, June 14, 2004

I bet all the game systems are PAL :(

muppet is now from madebymonkeys.net
Monday, June 14, 2004

Given it's a UK sale - probably. 

a cynic writes...
Monday, June 14, 2004

that makes the C64's and VIC 20's PAL too.

In other words "useless" :)

muppet is now from madebymonkeys.net
Monday, June 14, 2004

So move to a country that has PAL, like the UK or Australia!

Matthew Lock
Monday, June 14, 2004

Well not useless to me...except (a) I already have a load of old machines laying about and (b) convincing my wife that they weren't useless.  I could claim they were boot sale stock I suppose.;-)

a cynic writes...
Monday, June 14, 2004

Surely you guys have TVs, VRCs, etc that can handle PAL.

My Sony TV can do NTSC and I think my video can play NTSC tapes.

Steve Jones (UK)
Monday, June 14, 2004

Mine will play PAL format tapes, they just look odd (kind of a funhouse mirror effect).  Really if Eddie Izzard (the funniest man in the world) would stop giving eurpoean fans preferential treatment, this would stop being a problem for me.  But since some of his tapes/DVD's are PAL format only.... we suffer.

K
Monday, June 14, 2004

The sale may be listed on the UK eBay but the top of the offering lists the location as Hong Kong.

I wonder how this sits with whatever NDA Sony/Nintendo/etc have developers sign!

sethx9
Monday, June 14, 2004

"Surely you guys have TVs, VRCs, etc that can handle PAL.
"

It's unusual for US sold TVs/VCRs etc to handle PAL, unlike Europe where most nowadays handle NTSC/PAL.

A PS2 Programmer
Monday, June 14, 2004

Oh, that is just beautiful.

Now I can show this to my wife.  I have a small collection of 3 C64's, 2 IBM PC classics, a Leading Edge Model D (PC Clone), 3 Timex/Sinclair Z80's, a KayPro and an Osborne.  When she sees how huge a collection COULD be, it will be so much easier to justify keeping what I have.

Also, since I do have what I have, I also have NO DESIRE WHATSOEVER to increase it.  Still, it is nice to see someone go really over the top, in a way I never could afford to do.

AllanL5
Monday, June 14, 2004

I wonder what made the guy say, "I have 10 commodore datasettes... but I need another!"

Ron
Monday, June 14, 2004

I'm guessing this guy is single....

Do they have a 12 step program for this sort of thing?

Jim L
Monday, June 14, 2004

I thought that was a classic example of "wife forces sale". I was wondering whether he recently got married and his wife freaked.

Matthew Lock
Monday, June 14, 2004

Only 10099 hits and it was on Slashdot? Things MUST be slow.

www.MarkTAW.com
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

No Tatung Einstein?

What a wannabee. :-)

theWeasel
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home