Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

When will domain name registrars shape up?

Last year, I had to register a domain name for a Malaysian client. Little did I know that simple registration could put me on a wild goose chase on the quest for a .com.my, and when that was eventually resolved, after phone calls and faxes and the occassional email, I got it.
We've had server upgrades, and thus the ip's have changed. And now in order to change the ips on the registrar, I'm put on another wild goose chase that can really drive you up the wall. I dream of the day when they can all standardise someway. Some countries don't even reply to your request for a domain name, even though its perfectly legitimate and the client has a business licence in that country. Unfortunately, these same domain registrars have little or no competition, otherwise they could have learnt a thing or 2 from godaddy.com

My Domain
Monday, June 14, 2004

Try getting the .com.il, now that will torment you a bit.

Nigel Green
Monday, June 14, 2004

Mostly because there is no .com.il - you'll have to settle with .co.il

Ori Berger
Monday, June 14, 2004

sorry, my mistake, i meant the .co.il ,,,,anyway, got that sorted out long ago.

Nigel Green
Monday, June 14, 2004

Nigel: I've registered numerous .co.il domains without a problem. (The main interface is in English, too.) What did you go through?

Yoav
Monday, June 14, 2004

"Some countries don't even reply to your request for a domain name..."

In some countries you need to supply some grease to make things happen.

Anony Coward
Monday, June 14, 2004

Isn't there some sort of ISO scheme for these domain registries?.

Wonderer
Monday, June 14, 2004

since you don't change IP addresses with the registrar, it's no surprise they'd be giving you the runaround. (well, they should just say "talk to your DNS provider"). unless it's run weirdly in your country, which is of course possible.

my favorite is that every once in a while i get a letter from a registrar telling me my domain will expire & i'd best re-register it. of course, it's not my registrar, it's someone trying to slam me. i wonder if icann/whoever has authority to do anything about that (revoke their registrar status since they got my address by violating the t.o.s. on whois info)

mb
Monday, June 14, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home