Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

GMail - when ?

Any idea when Gmail will be open for public sign up ? I'm debating on bidding on an invitation on ebay.

A
Thursday, June 10, 2004

Why is everybody so gung ho about having google read and index their email? 

I finally decided to not allow a third party to store my email and have started hosting it myself.  It really isn't that big of a deal.

christopher baus (www.baus.net)
Thursday, June 10, 2004

I heard 6 months when it first opened.  I can send you an invite next time I get some if you want though.

r1ch
Thursday, June 10, 2004

This GMail hype is reminiscent of the dotcom hysteria of old. People are forgetting it's just another email service. Just because Google puts it name on it, doesn't make it anymore intrinsically valuable. 

What would you be buying really?  The right to put 'gmail.com' in your email address.  Whoop-de-fucking-doo, I'm sure all the slashdot nerds will worship you and women will fall at your feet because of an email address.

The suckers that are buying GMail accounts are the same sort of fools that dumped their entire life savings into pets.com.

reality check
Thursday, June 10, 2004

I'm thinking that an account would be a nice quick 'n dirty convenient online backup store.

Of course I'm not looking to pay for it. But, when it's free it'll be cool.

--Josh

JWA
Thursday, June 10, 2004

I kinda suspect that the whole invites thing is as much an advertising ploy as a way to gradually ramp up the userbase anyway - they are giving out lots of invites.

I wouldn't buy an account but it's definitely one of the better web based email services.

r1ch
Thursday, June 10, 2004

“Reality check” needs a reality check.

Gmail is not just hotmail + 1gig of space.  Google has truly innovated to make email a better experience and the experience _is_ much better.

The UI is amazingly intuitive, spell check make be chuckle out loud in admiration the first time I used it.  Threading message display, auto complete address book etc.  I have used hotmail, email.com and others and can say with confidence the space is not the significant thing here (it is nice but anyone can offer more space).  I am damn impressed with Gmail, you soon will be too.

Now the real question: why has no one else got this right?

Gmail User
Thursday, June 10, 2004

1gb of space, can someone fill me in on why this is a good idea, I have been using 2mb of space with hotmail since 97,
is it a way to transfer files for permanent internet storage or something, and if that is the case, why dont they just say internet storage, I am not seeing the email aspect needing a gig of space.

Berlin Brown
Thursday, June 10, 2004

Berlin, it seems you are the exception rather than the rule.  Many users hotmail accounts fill up with spam and then regular email is bounced.  Many others share pictures and other attachments which can be much larger than plain text however see my post above, the 1gb is just the bait, the UI is the hook.

Gmail User
Thursday, June 10, 2004

Hmm, it is free, so I guess, why am I complaining, it is google, I guess I will trust for now, I am still not seeing the 'Wow, Pow, Cool' it is kind of like 'Eh'.

Berlin Brown
Thursday, June 10, 2004

Once again:

http://www.oddpost.com

Has an amazing "Outlook-like" interface using DHTML.  (Internet Explorer only.)  Has Baysian spam filtering, spell check, lots of other great features.

Robert Jacobson
Thursday, June 10, 2004

Gmail User,

Hysteria wouldn't be hysteria without the true believers.  IT'S AN EMAIL SERVICE, not a cure for cancer.

Space and a UI are pretty weak selling points considering plenty of other services have perfectly good UIs and space, which will only increase anyway.  Or are we supposed to suspend disbelief, lay aside doubts and common sense as with all the hyped dotcoms?

The way Google is dribbling out these accounts is obviously making some people feel pretty special and important right now, turning them into GMail evangalists.  The hangover will come soon enough, and the ones that actually PAID for GMail accounts will be feeling pretty damn stupid.

reality check
Thursday, June 10, 2004

I have had a gMail account for a few days now.  I haven't really built up a large enough message archive to take advantage of all the features, but I will say this:

1) I really like the way entire conversations are grouped together.
2) The ads are very unobtrusive (and well-focused).
3) The keyboard shortcuts are great.
4) Although with 1GB of space, you don't *need* to delete anything, the interface does allow you to take a 'delete forever' action against any piece of mail you have.

I think part of the hype around gMail has to do with Google's street cred. 

Norrick
Thursday, June 10, 2004

This kind of reminds of when a new car is introduced.  People are willing to pay ABOVE the retail price to get the car only to find a year latter the manufacturer is heavily discounting it. 

I personally decided I don't want a third party storing my email.  I know that any one could intercept and store my email, but I am not agreeing to allow them to do it.  That is signficant difference. 

Thursday, June 10, 2004

I could never get into webmail - I just read and post too fast to deal with the length of time it takes to click around a website.

If JoS was a click per message instead of per thread I don't think I would've lasted here.

For me, webmail is only a lifeline, not a serious tool.

Philo

Philo
Thursday, June 10, 2004

Hmm I do everything with web mail personally.  I don't see anymore clicking than say Outlook.

Thursday, June 10, 2004

Threading might be a killer feature for me this is one thing I wish Squirrelmail would do.

Friday, June 11, 2004

Yes, it's just webmail, but Google is just so damn good at what they do.  First they took over web search.  They they completely rescued Usenet archiving from the toilet that Dejanews tried to stuff it into  (my eternal gratitude just for that).  They rolled out an approach to advertising that 1) makes them money, and 2) doesn't annoy the hell out of anyone that views it, and it was the exact opposite of what everyone else was doing (in both respects) at the time.

From what I've heard, Gmail is right along the same lines.  Even if you don't want to actually use it, it will be neat to see what they come up with, just to see what webmail done right looks like.

Oh, and Philo, I believe they've managed to put working keyboard shortcuts into their web interface.

Ok, this is a bit embarrasing now.  Still, it should be neat.

Matt Conrad
Friday, June 11, 2004

Anyone heard of http://www.aventuremail.com/ ?
It is a GMail variant with 2G.  But apparently, it says it allows only 10,000 singups per week and I haven't got any luck yet. 

After several trials, I am beginning to think it is up-to something if now deceiving, and looks fishy.

INGSOC
Friday, June 11, 2004

Christopher - it's not the amount of clicking, it's the 1+ seconds after the click before you get the click result that I can't deal with.

Just to be clear - I'm not down on GMail; it sounds like an awesome offering. I'm just saying that personally I prefer local/thick client email. :-)

Philo

Philo
Friday, June 11, 2004

My Yahoo mail was unavailable for at least a week because of some foul up that affected certain users and not others

I never use it for anything important, and only check for messages from people who haven't contacted me in the last five years and got the normal email address, but the fact that it can happen tells me that those talking about web ISV's and HD-less PC's are dangerous lunatics.

As for the speed difference between web email and standard POP3, I have three months holiday a year and for those three months I check into the work account using Outlook Web Access, which is a much better interface than most web mail interfaces. I reckon it takes me three times as long to do my work with it as using POP3; as I spend about 15 hours a week normally if I did do the work over the holiday I wouldn't get a holdiay at all.

Web based email is great for checking your mail from another PC or internet cafe, (and most ISP's have this feature)  but for anything else it sucks. And Hotmail's 2MB is so ridiculously low a  storage amount that you really need to be checking it every other day at most - and of course you only need to go thirty days to lose all messages.

Stephen Jones
Friday, June 11, 2004

I've been using Gmail now for a little while and it's quite a bit different than *all* of the other webmail systems out there.  I'm still using my Yahoo account, but I'll likely shut that down before too much longer... after 4 years.

*  First, unlike Yahoo and many of the other services, Gmail uses Bayesian filtering for spam that is customized on a *per user* basis.  This means the Spam protection will pick up the mortgage applications, but will not stop my security newsletters.

*  Next, it keeps the threading on messages.  I have yet to see a webmail system that does that.  For my offline stuff I use Mozilla and Gmail is pretty comparable on that.

*  The context-sensitive adds are *not* new.  Gmail is just better at it.  Yahoo has been doing this for quite a while... watch their banners as your read different messages.  Gmail is based on a more precise algorithm, so it's quite a bit better.

* By default it has "show as text only" turned on.  So spammers have a it a bit more difficult.

*  Even better, when you click on a link in Gmail, it wipes most of the info from the link.  Referrer info is gone for example.  This makes it difficult for spammers to know if you clicked on their link from an email or just found it by chance.

That's about it.

KC

KC
Friday, June 11, 2004

So is anyone else getting tired of Google making people jump through hoops to get a GMail account? I would consider paying Google directly but have no desire to buy or beg for an account from someone else. Perhaps I'm just getting old & grumpy.

Has anyone tried Spymac? ( http://www.spymac.com )

Semi-Anonymous Coward
Friday, June 11, 2004

Reality Check,

Yes, it's an email service.  Not sure where you are going with the "cure for cancer" comment.

Space and UI are some of the main selling points for webmail.  What else do you think people are getting webmail for?  Having worked with the competitors offerings it is clear gmail is better.  The "new" hotmail UI is really poor IMHO.  I frequently am scanning for the tiny icons to take actions.  The market will prove this soon enough however, as we see the user count grow when gmail is public.

You really have no argument here: "Or are we supposed to suspend disbelief, lay aside doubts and common sense as with all the hyped dotcoms?"  What doubts do you have?  What does common sense dictate?  Are you going to use a inferior product because it was not made by google?  This reminds me of the NS / IE days, there was a core group of NS users around 4.x that said IE was trash, the fact was that around that time it passed NS in performance, features and usability.  It was a better browser.  People would still argue that NS was better, I wanted to as well but a simple site with nested tables rendered instantly in IE4 and took 30 seconds in NS on the same box -- it was time to say goodbye to NS.

"The way Google is dribbling out these accounts is obviously making some people feel pretty special and important right now, turning them into GMail evangalists."

I think the product makes people want to talk about it.  My expectations were hotmail + storage but I was pleased to discover it is more than that.  I don't feel special.

"The hangover will come soon enough, and the ones that actually PAID for GMail accounts will be feeling pretty damn stupid. "

Why? Because they have the username they want?  Not sure how this value is diminished by more users joining.  Besides, those that bought an account for $50 and used it got 3 more invites to sell at what is now $70+ each, not a bad ROI.  Google is paying people to use gmail ;-)

Gmail User
Friday, June 11, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home