Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Recording sound on a webpage?

Does anybody know if it is possible to record a short sound clip from a webpage?

I would like to do something like a virtual spectrum analyzer, which will record a sound clip from a user and display its frequency content.

I've been researching on newsgroups and google for some time, but to no avail...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm using asp.net and windows xp, for reference.

Fred
Thursday, June 10, 2004

I suppose you could do it with a java applet, or an ActiveX component depending on your religious preferences. I would bet you would have to write it yourself though.

Does flash support sound capture?

How about giving instructions for using the windows sound recorder and just provide an upload form for wavs?

Eric Debois
Thursday, June 10, 2004

The latest version of Flash (6) can provide support for recording through a movie. Though the user has to turn it on in their preferences. I believe in can capture video as well.

CF
Thursday, June 10, 2004

should be easy to write an activex control. but think of the security implications (eavesdropping) if you want to go down this path.

mb
Thursday, June 10, 2004

You could have the user record a sound with whatever equipment or software they have, then use regular HTTP POST upload to get the file to the site. If you don't want to fight the sampling rate and other stuff, provide a small app that they can use to create the sound.

Troy King
Thursday, June 10, 2004

I use Total Recorder, a very inexpensive program that directly records sound played by other programs, as well as from line-in, etc.

http://www.highcriteria.com/

Anonynony
Thursday, June 10, 2004

Yeah, I think Flash has this kind of thing now.

Interesting project, something I'd be interested in (see my website). Drop me a line when you're done & maybe I'll link to you.

www.MarkTAW.com
Thursday, June 10, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home