Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Just a thought

This has probably already been suggested.

Is there any reason the old 'new york' forum couldn't be turned into a Technical Q & A forum? I know Joel was loathe to get rid of it when the NY thing didn't pan out, so I am guessing he might feel the same way now that the 'ask joel' thing hasn't panned out.

There are some times when, heck like right now, when I am googling as hard as I can to find an answer, and would love to tap into the brain trust on this site...however I just feel it bad ettiquette to post 'help me' questions on this site. Making use of the NY site might be a nice balance?

(Meanwhile any PHP gurus out there.....)

Aussie Chick
Thursday, June 10, 2004

People post "help me" questions all the time here.  Why is that bad ettiquette?

christopher baus (www.baus.net)
Thursday, June 10, 2004

I have just always seen this forum as something better then a 'help me' forum.

I actually haven't noticed that many technical questions getting asked. (Unless they are packaged under some sort of title that I don't bother looking at).

My point is, sometimes I want to ask  ten questions all in a row. I am generally tapping all my resources to try to find answers to a stack of questions. The people on this forum represent a huge resource, however I think posting tech questions in here is like seeing your accountant having lunch in a restaurant, pulling up a chair and asking for advice.

Aussie Chick
Thursday, June 10, 2004

The .NET Questions forum has very little traffic, so maybe that could be made into a general-purpose "ask a technical question" forum.

Steve Jones (UK)
Thursday, June 10, 2004

Just feel free to post your PHP problems Aussie Chick. I may be able to help and I'm sure plenty others could as well.

James 'Smiler' Farrer
Thursday, June 10, 2004

Yeah, we flame anyone. No prejudices.

Thursday, June 10, 2004

Maybe we should request that all help threads have a subject that starts with "Code Help:" or something like that so anyone who doesn't want to read them doesn't have to.

Obviously, there is no way to enforce this, but for our regular posters, it could serve as a helpful little flag to distinguish.

KC

And Aussie Chick, if you have the accent, you're okay in my book.  ;)

KC
Thursday, June 10, 2004

Yeah I think moving the 'help me with this technical problem' posts off to a different forum would be a good idea. Keep this one for more general software development related discussion...

Matt
Thursday, June 10, 2004

AC, wrt. the motivation thing:

(you really need to get that blog of of JRoller, the thing is about as reliable as a spammers from: adress. I tried posting there but it just crashes)

Buy yourself and you BF an expensive celebration party in six days time, but make it something you have to pay for today (e.g. great theather or concert seats, with a fancy dinner reservation on top). The thoughts of having spend all that money and not "deserving" it or not being able to truly celebrate because you bummed out on the couch for a week will get the juices flowing.

Just me (Sir to you)
Thursday, June 10, 2004

Technical posts are usually well received here.  There are always a few people who want to control the board's content, even if it's not their place to do so.

So if you want to post a PHP question, go for it.

Besides, if the tides turn and this forum starts getting a huge influx of technical questions, it might actually give it a new injection of life.  Some of the non-technical posts are getting pretty stale. (Including my own!)

The problem is, if Joel creates a technical forum, it just won't get the traffic that this one does and will eventually peter out.

Yet another anon
Thursday, June 10, 2004

Actually

bbs.f**kedcompany.com

is another place that you can often get good answers if you can withstand the idiotic remarks.

Once I'd forgotten the name of DLL on a Sunday Afternoon and asked and got an anwer within a few minutes.

Along with stupid comments of course.

DOt for this one
Thursday, June 10, 2004

that the technical help forum will get little attention, since people here have different problems with different systems (one forum would not be enough to answer all questions).

On the other hand people are ready to help (provided that you are not going to ask questions about linked lists).

And, Mrs. Chick, i am always ready to help.

Michael Moser
Thursday, June 10, 2004

Dear Cassandra,

I'd suggest you put to use Dr.J.B.Rhine's placebo, "Each day, day by day, I am doing better and better."

Say this to yourself every morning when you wake up in bed, and at night just before you go to bed. And say it as many times as you can during the day as well.

Besides this, the best medicine to weeding out mental defilements is meditation. Practice meditation and you'll be at peace with yourself, and will begin working at a consistent pace.

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Thursday, June 10, 2004

I agree that the .Net Questions forum might be better as a "technical questions" forum.  It's very low traffic -- personally, I only check it once or twice per week.

My own thought: how about a "rants & raves" type of forum?  Often I want to make a curmudgeonly comment about some poorly-designed program, but I figure it's not worth taking up the bandwidth on the main JoS forum.

Oh, on that thought, let me go slightly OT with a personal note... I'm putting my current ISV programming project on hiatus and getting back to work as an attorney.  I'll be working for Darby & Darby, a New York firm that specializes in intellectual property law:

<warning name="obnoxious Flash intro">
    http://www.darbylaw.com/
</warning>

The firm recently opened up a Seattle outpost, where I'll be working.  I'll still be a regular around here though.

I don't have Philo's karma points, so I thought I'd slip this in rather than start a new thread.  <g>

Robert Jacobson
Thursday, June 10, 2004

Just Me (Sir to you):
Actually we celebrate our 1st wedding anniversary on that day....
Can you suggest another blog site?

Sathyaish:
You continually scare me.

Aussie Chick
Thursday, June 10, 2004

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Thursday, June 10, 2004

>Sathyaish:
>You continually scare me.

I am so glad I do. ;-) I happen to derive pleasure out of it, if you were guessing.

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Thursday, June 10, 2004

AC,

you are worried that a technical question would be too OT? Can't be any worse than http://discuss.fogcreek.com/joelonsoftware/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=150397&ixReplies=31 now can it?

Just me (Sir to you)
Friday, June 11, 2004

True. I just don't want to be the one posting all those horrid topics.

Aussie Chick
Friday, June 11, 2004

Homework type questions are one thing, however if you're looking for a quick'n'dirty hack to solve packing stuff in bins, or generate good random numbers without doing the research then here can be a good place.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that here is a really good mix of folks who have "been there, done that, got the T-Shirt" and can also point you past the pitfalls too.

I don't often ask technical questions here. However if a customer turned up asking me to support sending & receiving OASIS format XML messages I'd ask in here for pointers as to where to start. (We've done various types of EDI & XML message passing before but I've never needed the OASIS ones yet)

The answers I got to this "question" on CSS
http://discuss.fogcreek.com/joelonsoftware/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=135730
were just want I wanted. Folks who are better at CSS than I am are telling me that I haven't missed something obvious in the specs.

Peter Ibbotson
Friday, June 11, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home