Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Internet connectivity on the road

When traveling, how do you connect to the internet when you've got a broadband connection at home?

This is my first time traveling with a laptop since switching to broadband.  Previously I've used my company's backup dial-up account, but this is personal travel so that won't do.

Yet another anon
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Many broadband companies also offer dialup service for a minimul extra montly charge in addition to your high-speed service.  Earthlink, AOL/TW, etc all do this.  Might be worth checking out if you travel often enough. 

Otherwise netzero.com has a 10 hour/month free deal.  I think there's probably a popup bar or some other adware though...

Joe
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

You may want to investigate a data plan with your cellular provider. Some of the plans are actually reasonable, and EDGE service is now 118kbs max iirc.

Lou
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

How about hotels?  Do they offer access through an ISP?

Yet another anon
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Several options:
1) Cell phones with preferential data plans (Verizon, for me) and a data cable.  I get 14.4 with my 3 year old phone on Verizon, but you can now get more bandwidth.  It comes out of my minutes.  You need to check with your cell provider.
2) Broadband provider with dialup network.  http://www.Speakeasy.net does my broadband, and they give that to us.
3) Free / low cost WiFi access at cafes, hotels, etc.
4) Temporary dialup account.

Or there's always removing yourself from any mailing lists and going internet-free for a vacation.

Flamebait Sr.
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Check with your broadband provider; many offer n hours of dial-up per month as either included in your service or for a small additional amount.  If the provider is national, they will hopefully have POPs where you are going.

If you have money to burn, look into Sprint's Enhanced PCS service.  My employer pays $80 / month for unlimited usage for mine.  It works anywhere a Sprint PCS phone can get a signal and performance-wise gives a slight edge over dial-up.

offMyMeds
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

ipass

Prakash S
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

I'll check with the hotel about wifi access.  As for the broadband, I'm with Comcast and if they offer any dialup, they keep it well hidden on their web site.

Yet another anon
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Depending on where you'll be, I've found the T-Mobile HotSpot to be a good value on the road.  It's $30/month with a year subscription or $6/hour or $10/day.  Of course you'll have to go to one of their locations but there are many, mostly at Starbucks, Borders, and Kinko's.

http://www.t-mobile.com/hotspot/

One note about the cellular solutions.  I tried an EDGE card for a few weeks and was generally pretty satisfied except for the latency.  Throughput was decent but forget about using a remote shell connection.  It's doable but painful.  For an application like that you may as well use dial-up.

Jeremy

Jeremy
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home