sd
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

vi

son of parnas
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

To be different. Emacs.

MyNameIsSecret();
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

There is Komodo from ActiveState for both Windows and Linux.

Then there is a Perl plugin from ActiveState for Visual Studio .NET.

There is PerlBuilder.

Google on it.

Pavel Levin
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Thanks, Pavel.  My question wasn't clear enough.  I've already googled, but found a boat-load of IDEs.  I'm asking for developers' personal favorites to help me choose.

anon
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

learn vi.

Matt
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Personally, I'm fond of CuteHTML.

It understands PERL syntax highlighting, and it shows line-numbers (which is critical for my debugging sessions).  It also has a very nice 'Find in all open files' feature -- as well as a 'Search and Replace in all open files'.

AllanL5
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

I've tried the IDEs ... every now and then I just wonder if I would be faster with an IDE. Most of the ones I found tried to help me write my code and they did a lousy job as they approached everything as a CGI. I did not find any that integrated well with Perl modules. If you find one that does ... then that might be interesting.  If you are writing modules for a particular app and in you want to quickly jump from one position to another then it might help. Or for it to give you the latest API for a module might help ... I saw an IDE for PHP that did something like this. If you could right click and get perldoc on a function then that would be interesting. I haven't seen any IDEs that do this though.

I use emacs which has bookmarks, works with etags, and of course a plethora of other helpers. I used to use VI until someone really pushed me to learn emacs.  I'm glad I'm still learning it.

The only time now that I'll try and IDE is when someone who REALLY knew how to use emacs and could type 70 wpm and knew Perl really well ... if that person told me they were more productive with an IDE for Perl then I'd certainly take a look at it. So far the only people I've seen even consider an IDE for Perl are people who really don't know Perl.

me
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

EditPlus

Nicholas Franks
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Syn

not to use any of the tools, it just has nice formatting and color coding.

real perl developers don't use IDEs, seriously.  It's not compiled so there really isn't much of a point to it.  I do much of my perl work in pico.

muppet is now from madebymonkeys.net
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

I find that poking myself in the eye and banging my head against the wall gets me in the right frame of mind for perl. Dunno how much an IDE would help with that.

Thom Lawrence
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

vi, Notepad, etc...  I'm trying to learn how to use Komodo, but as of now I get my best work done with a simple, plain text editor.

Andrew Burton
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

For what it's worth, I think most programmers can use a good editor when using less verbose languages. The first thing that they will use less often is a debugger (I've seen one good programmer claim that he hasn't used a debugger in the last 5 years).
When we use some IDE, it often means that a lot of code is being generated for us. That has some implications.
I believe some editors like Emacs support some extensions that can help you greatly, just like an IDE.
I don't really use Perl, but use a similar language called Ruby. When I'm on Linux I can use Kate or Scite. When I'm on Windows I use Scite.
http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html

Dewd
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

LEO or IDLE for Python: there's no good in PERL, therefore no good PERL IDE

bah humbug
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

You don't need an IDE for Perl, you just need a good text editor. I find syntax highlighting helps a lot, so I always look for that in any code editor.

On Windows, I have used CREdit a lot; it is no longer being developed (sadly), but it is convenient, small, fast, free, can be scripted for macros, and has just a few cosmetic bugs that don't trouble me.

On Unix with X, I used to use NEdit exclusively. It was basically the best visual text editor in the World ever, bar none; but I have not used it in recent years (stuck in Windows land). I fear it may have been over-developed beyond perfection now, and started down the slippery slope on the other side.

Ian
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Personally, I just use a text editor (TextPad) when I'm writing perl.

But lately, I've also been writing a lot of Java code, and a friend of mine tipped me off about Eclipse ( http://eclipse.org ). I've been using it for about three months, and I really love it.

Having written a few perl scripts in the last few days (after several months with no perl), the text editor is starting to feel a little clunky for software development. I've heard about an Eclipse plugin for perl that'll do syntax highlighting (of course), on-the-fly syntax checking, etc, etc. And that's cool, but not overly impressive.

What _is_ impressive is that it also includes a debugger with breakpoints, execution stepping, and local/global variable inspection.

One of these days I'm going to download it and give it a whirl. It's still pretty new, though, so I'd expect some bugs.

http://e-p-i-c.sf.net/

Benji Smith
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Visual SlickEdit. It has syntax "intellisense" for several languages including perl. It will also cross reference projects and break up your code to show functions, globals, packages

Tom Vu
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

> If you could right click and get perldoc on a function then
> that  would be interesting. I haven't seen any IDEs that
> do this though.

The Zeus editor does somthing very close to this:

http://www.zeusedit.com/lookmain.html

Zeus has a Quick Help feature can display function help with one keyboard press or on menu selection.

You point Zeus at the documentation (ie WinHelp, HtmlHelp, JavaDoc formats etc) and it will index the documentation. By selecting a word with the cursor and hitting the Quick Help an index search is triggered and within an instant the help page for the function is displayed.

Jussi Jumppanen
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

I've just found this:

Affrus: An OS X Perl IDE
http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2004/05/14/affrus.html

Dewd
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Thanks for the advice!

anon
Thursday, June 10, 2004

scite is pretty cute. It has syntax highlighting for perl. I think you can set it up to compile with one keypress, in which case you've got most of your IDE right there -- all you need is the debugger.

Tom
Thursday, June 10, 2004

Erm... compile, run, whatever. I just mean that you don't need to press Alt+Tab (Windows) or bother the mouse (Mac, Unix).

Tom
Thursday, June 10, 2004

OptiPerl is an EXCELLENT IDE

ebola_influenza
Saturday, June 26, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home