Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Oracle Development book recommendation

Hello,

Not touched Oracle before and am converting a db from SQL Server to Oracle.

Can anyone recommend a decent book so I can get upto speed on PL/SQL etc?

James 'Smiler' Farrer
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

The best resource I've found isn't a book, but a site >> http://asktom.oracle.com/

For books, the "Tom" of asktom has a couple, including Expert one-on-one Oracle.

Steven Fuerstein's Oracle PL/SQL Programming is the good as well.

steve
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

The Oracle Desk Reference is a must-have.
Also, I'd recommend you at least give TOAD a try - it's a GUI for Oracle that will make you more at home while you learn your way around.

I haven't looked at the other Oracle books in a while - Wrox used to have "Expert one-on-one Oracle" that I used a bit. Much of the Oracle press stuff was *really* narrow.

Some handy notes for the Oracle newbie:
[caveat - I haven't jockeyed Oracle since 8i; if you're on 9i or 10g some of this may have changed, though I doubt it]

- There are no autonumbers; instead you use a special object called a sequence to generate your PK's for tables.
- Oracle creates a schema for each user. So when you log in, you're in your own "world". The important thing to know is that from outside the schema you need to use schema.object to get to the object unless you set up a global alias.
- Learn recursive queries. They are very powerful.
- Yes, every client machine needs SQL+ installed to get to the database.
- Learn and understand the DUAL virtual table.

Best of luck!

Philo

Philo
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

asktom.oracle.com seconded.  Darn nearly the most useful oracle reference I've ever found.

Brad
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Play with NULL... it's strange and constantly surprising.

Lou
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Are there any translators which would translate from TSQL to PL/SQL? I have been thinking of the possibility of parallel development for Oracle and SQL server and it seems that the overlap between TSQL and PL/SQL is pretty extensive, so creating something to translate PL/SQL into TSQL or the other way would be pretty easy. Should not be much harder than what Joel did to translate ASP into PHP.

www.alexlechuck.com
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Oracle provides a migration tool which works OK.

There is also a product from Ispirer called SQLWays which will script out objects for you.

I've found these tools to be OK but by no means the be all and end all. The code they generate for Procedures as well is formatted terribly.

I'm currently experiencing SQL Server and Oracle doing different things with JOINS, erk.

The other problem I've found between SQL Server and Oracle is that Oracle treats an empty string as NULL whereas SQL Server differentiates between the two. The product I'm working on makes use of this difference in SQL Server. Should be interesting for Oracle :)

James 'Smiler' Farrer
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

(Using Oracle 9i btw)

James 'Smiler' Farrer
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Case sensitivity.

MilesArcher
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Tom Kyte's (of asktom.oracle.com) book "Effective Oracle by Design" is good.  While not a general-purpose Oracle reference, it does provide a lot of tips and ideas for getting the best performance out of Oracle.

AMS
Thursday, June 10, 2004

Guy Harrison's "Oracle Desk Reference" is a must-have.

Grumpy Old-Timer
Monday, June 14, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home