Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

caught someone in office?

Dear Joelsters,

Last nite I work until late, and by accident I saw one my colleague was having petting activities with one of female colleague from marketing department. And they actually saw me saw them. This morning my colleague plead to me not to report what they did to my boss. Personally I think they did something wrong, and of course this is against office policy. What do you do if you're in my place?

jacky
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

1. Record a video
2. Show it on the internet
3. Profit!

Or, more seriously, I'd keep my nose out of their business. As long as they aren't claiming overtime for their... activities... their business is their own.

Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Mock them at every available opportunity. Suggest they be more discrete?

But seriously unless your some kind of complete, soulless, arsehole why on earth would you even consider reporting them?

Mr Jack
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Did they use your desk?

If not file it away for when there is a lull in the conversation at some boring dinner party.  Though first make sure neither participant is at said dinner party.

Simon Lucy
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Jacky, if I was in your place, I'd do nothing. What they were doing might have been "against office policy", but it's hardly an important matter. Let them get on with their life, and get on with yours. Reporting them, or gossiping about it, really won't do anyone any good.

Adrian
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Jackie,
Really, it is no one else's business except theirs. How would you feel if somehow, you were single, you met a guy at work, and one night yadda yadda. Would you want someone reporting you?, and in this day and age, work is not easy to come by. Don't cut off someones livelyhood because of some hanky panky, I don't think you'll be able sleep well at night after that.

Jack
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Tell them to be more discrete. Say that you know you should report them to HR, but you won't.
If they have different levels of power within your office (i.e. one is a board member and the other is a secretary) then it may be an abusive relationship.
If you feel it may be an abusive relationship then I'd personally be tempted to ask HR to send round a memo reminding people about the policy.
Note: I'm a company director and this isn't easy, in non-company mode "I'd say stuff it, it's not my business". However in company director mode the answer is that this may result in a court case for sexual harassment (perhaps later when the relationship breaks up) and therefore I need to minimise our legal exposure. Last time this happened here both parties were reasonably grown up about it and corporately we had no trouble. However at one point the process for getting a restraining order was started (both had rather firery tempers and I think this was the result of a row rather than a serious long term attempt)

A regular being anon.
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

If he's married, tell his wife.

Yo
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

If she is married, tell her husband.  Women can be louts too.

Eric
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

If he's married, and you hope to get some rebound sex off him, tell his wife.

Mr Jack
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

If you did report them, it's doubtful your boss will thank you for it, but instead they'll resent you for it (and it will likely come back to haunt you). Your boss will likely view it as their business, outside of work hours, and irrelevant to their roles as employees, however because it is "against office policy" their hand will be forced to act as they know that you're their judgementally looking on.

Dennis Forbes
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Next time, join them and videotape it...

Dear Penthouse...
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Geez, everybody does it at the office. Don't you read grouphug.us?

Patty
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

>Personally I think they did something wrong, and of course this is against office policy.

If they're consenting adults - what is your beef?  It isn't like it happened during work hours.  It's against company policy because they don't want to be sued - not because mgmt actually gives a crap.

Why have most people forgotten (or simply ignore) that we are creatures of nature and yeah, we like to do it, and it is good.

//\
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

I would have stopped by and given them advice (squeeze her ... lighter, wow, yes, this is good, go ahead, etc).

:-)

Derek
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Stick a couple of these in their office, that will put a stop to anything:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/shoptronics/momodefasedu.html

Matthew Lock
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Reporting them does not benefit you.  Instead, file this away and let them know that they owe you a favor.  You may need it someday.

hightequity
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

BFD.

hoser
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

If you do report it, even if you do it anonymously, the two involved (and, consequently, everyone else in the office) will know it was you, and your worklife will take a rather sharp tumble into the abyss.

If you don't - worst case, you get the status quo.  Best case, one or both of them owe you a favor.

Not a difficult decision to me.

Greg Hurlman
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

> I think they did something wrong

Like what? Wrong use of corporate facilities?

No offence but I think it's not your business. Certainly not mine if I were you.

Or is it?

If not, keep your mouth shut. And don't work till late next time, it's bad for you :)

Your colleague is my hero now ;)

Daniel Tio
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

As they say on You-Know-What-Kind-Of-Company:

Do not feed the trolls

Dot For This One
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Only a jerk would rat them out..

MilesArcher
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

A gentle reminder that your office is a place of business ought to do the job.  If he was "pleading", then it's pretty obvious he's gotten the hint anyway.

Brad
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

it remembers me when I had sex with my girlfriend in the office one night. but we was lucky as we closed the door with a key.

Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Live and let f*ck!

Wednesday, June 09, 2004

In Australia a few years ago our Tourism Minister rooted his wife on his desk. His wife let it slip to the papers for some reason.

TM
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

You should go running like the little school-girl you are and tattle on them.

Then go home and suck your mommy's tit.

Seriously, why can't you just mind your own f*ing business?

Wednesday, June 09, 2004

There was a humor news story a while back about nude photos of the mayor of a British Columbia town circling around -- some teenage kids at a party at the home were playing on their home PC , found the photos, and sent them out to other friends.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&q=%22sharon+smith%22+bc+nude&btnG=Search&meta=

Dennis Forbes
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

If you're evil and you think one of them is hot, use it as blackmail to get a little action for yourself.

anon
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Er, is "petting activities" the latest slang for "selling heroin" or something?  I'm so out of it.  (It can't be literally "petting", because that's not something to get upset about, unless you're Amish.)

Y
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

I've had sex in the bathroom (henceforth known as 'going number three') at the office a couple of times, once with a co-worker I was dating and once with a co-worker I wasn't.  No surprise, really, all the chicks at the office want me. 
If you pitiful nerds had the sack to flirt with marketing babes, you'd be getting some of that too.

What are you lookin' at?
Thursday, June 10, 2004

The majority of responses show the moral decadence in the USA. Your hegemony WILL fall !!!

mao tse tung
Thursday, June 10, 2004

It depends how 'heavy' it was. Unless they were really going for it big time on the desk in the open office where poor sensitive souls might be offended, then I don't see what business it is of yours. Similarly if one or the other was in a power position and abusing that position (I mean a management position, ok ?!) then definately report it.

Otherwise, everyone is entitled to privacy, freedom of association, etc. Ever thought that he might be pleading because he just doesn't want to be embarrassed ? Perhaps you have stumbled on an embryonic relationship which won't survive the scrutiny of office gossip. If you "tell" all three of you will suffer and their boss(es) will have a power lever. As someone said earlier, its a no brainer really.

WoodenTongue
Thursday, June 10, 2004

If you really had the thought of "reporting them", that further confirms my feeling that people SUCK!  Or, at least, I wouldn't want to work with you.

That is so lame.
Thursday, June 10, 2004

Have you people ever gone to Sunday School or read Bible?

God Bless America!
Thursday, June 10, 2004

---"Have you people ever gone to Sunday School or read Bible? "---

Yea, but we missed the lesson where it said "Thou shalt grass up thy neighbor".

Stephen Jones
Thursday, June 10, 2004

So you will let these unsavory activities to happen again in your work environment in the future?

kimberley conrad
Thursday, June 10, 2004

Petting is "unsavory"?

You don't go out in public much, do you?

Y
Friday, June 11, 2004

Yeah, if he had her bent of the bosses desk while doing up up the arse, waving a cowbat hat above his head and bellowing 'ye-hah' then that would be unsavory.

Mr Jack
Friday, June 11, 2004

"Have you people ever gone to Sunday School or read Bible?"

Yes to the first, some to the second. Nowhere did I find a prohibition against touching, romance, starting a relationship, kissing, etc.

I did read something which said that the practices referred to by Mr Jack were mildly sinful tho'.

WoodenTongue
Friday, June 11, 2004

So how was the sex? was it juicy? was she moaning while the guy was banging her? why didn't you join for a hot 3 way? that's sad, you gotta change that attitude of yours.

Dude looks like a lady, aha, aha.
Sunday, June 13, 2004

"Then go home and suck your mommy's tit."

I'd much rather suck your mommy's tit. Then give her anal sex.

The Indomitable Nizzeloid
Monday, June 14, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home