Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Value of resume database?

OK, here's a retarded and venal question.

I have subscribed to one of those resume distribution services for two years now. IE, I signed up as a recruiter to receive the resumes of poor saps who pay $50 to have their resume spammed out to several thousand headhunters.

I have about 10,000 resumes across a variety of disciplines that have been downloaded to me. Most of the resumes have direct contact information.

Any economic value to this data?

Data Packrat
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

> retarded

I'm always amazed that people don't feel it's offensive to use that phrase "retarded".

Matthew Lock
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

> I have subscribed to one of those resume distribution services ... to receive the resumes of poor saps who pay $50 to have their resume spammed out ...

So. We've estblished you have a lot of respect for the people you say you're finding jobs for.

Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Recruiters are a scourge on the IT industry.

My friend, I think you are posting in the wrong forum. I suspect most IT workers who have had to deal with recruiters have no respect for them. Most people reading your post probably felt the bile rising as they read.

Herr Herr
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Here's a troll, pay not, to cross the bridge.

Simon Lucy
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

First of all, the majority of the resumes are out of date.

Next, you obviously have a low opinion of these people.

Finally, you seem to be a jackass who's willing to sell people's resume and contact info.

Do the world a favor and delete it all and get out of recruiting.

KC
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

>> "I'm always amazed that people don't feel it's offensive to use that phrase "retarded"."

I'm always amazed a how petty, low-IQ, politically correct imbeciles fancy they have the power and responsibility to constrain the use of language.  Here's a thought:  Why don't you use the words you want to use, and let others use the words they want to use?  I'm sick and tired of you no good do-gooders protecting society from itself by cataloging the list of forbidden, harmful words.  Freakin' retard.

anon
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

The BBCi site did a survey regarding offensive words.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ouch/yourspace/worstwords/topten.shtml

I think it is interesting thing is that the expression "Special", beloved of the Politically Correct, is fourth only to 'Retard', 'Window-licker', 'Spastic' and 'Mong.'

Ged Byrne
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

My apologies to the politically correct. I meant 'retarded' in the old fashioned sense of absurdly stupid contemplated action.

Re: "poor saps" - same thing as people who pay for bulk search engine placements. The same information (lists of email addresses of recruiters) are readily available.

I am not a recruiter. I am a techie, and I subscribed to the list on a lark a while back. I left the subscription alone and it has produced over 10000 resumes (emailed to my POP mailbox).

My thought was to strip all identification of the resume spamming service that delivered the resumes, and set up a searchable database that I could charge recruiters for.

Re: outdated - my thinking is that these candidates are the "most motivated" of the mtivated, and even the old resumes would be useful to some recruiter for "networking" purposes.

Data Packrat
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

I think you should spam them all "Get Rich Quick" schemes for $19.95, which would just be a sheet of paper that says to spam the same document to others for $19.95. 

Your contact list isn't of the most motivated of the motivated, they're more like the most desperate.

Ron
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

>>>> "I'm always amazed that people don't feel it's offensive to use that phrase "retarded"."

>>I'm always amazed a how petty, low-IQ, politically correct imbeciles fancy they have the power and responsibility to constrain the use of language.

And I, in turn, am always amazed at how people think that they can justify being grossly offensive by terming those who call attention to it "politically correct."

Kyralessa
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Data Packrat, such collections of resumes are worthless. Any recruiter can get the same by posting a few ads, false or otherwise, and they all do.

Why don't you generate an automatic email to all the people on the resume database and let them know they're being ripped off. Tell them to tell their politicians about this.

Wednesday, June 09, 2004

I love the idea of spamming out a notice that these people have been ripped off and explaining that any warm body can and does receive the resumes just by filling out an online form.

Actually, some of the people here ragging on me for being a sleazy-assed recruiter don't get it. I am technical and I have collected two years of data of highly dubious value.  What better way to stick it to recruiter droids than to charge for this sh*t?

I could 'add value' to it by calling it a "historical database of candidates". :-)

Data Packrat
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Without getting into a debate of whether your plan is a good money-making one (although I'm leaning towards 'no'), there is the aspect of whether it's *legal* or not.

Chances are, you probably don't have resell rights for the data you were given.  Double-check with the service you used to collect the data in the first place.

Joe
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

That's the beauty of this idea. It's wrong on so many levels that it has a very high humor value. ;-)

Seriously, most of the resumes are just resumes and have direct contact information to the candidates. I don't see how anyone could back trace it...

Data Packrat
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

So you're a sleezy tech guy now instead of a sleezy recruiter, that's great ;-)

Joe
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home