Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Where to get feedback on website

I'm more a developer than designer, probably like a lot of you.. So where do you go to get your sites critiqued?  I just sketched a couple new designs in Photoshop.  Is there a newsgroup or site that does this kind of thing?

I'm interested in usability primarily and secondarily aesthetics.

I work for the state, thus have a limited budget, so free is good :)

Thanks

Lee
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

I thought you were going to Iraq?

Anon
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Maybe if you post a link, some of us who are avoiding real work will be nice enough to take a look :)  Otherwise, grab some people from neighboring cubes...

Joe
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Check out www.alistapart.com

That is a sort of design info/tutorial site that is run by Jeffrey Zeldman, a recognized expert on standards compliance and accessibility mixed with good design.  I think the site has a forum where you could maybe ask for feedback.

Clay Whipkey
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Try Steve Champeon's webdesign-L list:

http://webdesign-l.com/

David Walker
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

In the past I have gotten good feedback from the www.coolhomepages.com forums, but the best feedback has come from The Lounge on www.codeproject.com.

Nathan Ridley
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Thanks for the links, they look great.

Anon: yup, I'm that's me.  I'm gone around August or so.  My boss insists I be mildly productive until then ;)

If anyone's curious here's the current rev:
http://myweb.cableone.net/lhenkel/homepage7e.jpg
(109k)
I don't pride myself on design, so feel free to rip it.

Lee
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

The layout doesn't look bad to me.  I question the use of so many colors, but I've been told repeatedly that my taste in color is less that pleasing, so take it with a grain of salt.

Steve Barbour
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Steve: yeah, some other people have made similar comments.  I'm probably going to reduce the number of colors on the header bars.

I can't pick colors well either, but have had moderate success w/ this:
http://www.colorschemer.com/online.html

Lee
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

I was just looking at the design and was trying to work out what it was about it that seemed wrong. At a quick glance, it seems reasonably clean, and laid out well enough, I guess, but something doesn't seem right.

I think part of the problem lies in what I see non-designers mess up fairly consistently, and that is spacing. Look at the way you've spaced the various elements on the page.

First of all, I think it could do with a small amount of tightening. I don't think you need quite so much space between the various areas on the page.

Secondly, your spacing needs to be more consistent in order to subtly create a more aesthetically pleasing arrangement. What I mean by that is that you have inconsistent amounts of space, both horizontally and vertically, between your various elements. Try to pick a specific width and use it universally for spacing between all major elements on your page.

A few points which might help clarify this:
The spacing between the left edge and the left column is different to the spacing between the right edge and the right column. The spacing between the "8:00pm" box and the left column is different to the spacing between the "10:00pm" box and the right column. The "Learn and Grow" box is slightly off center with the rest of the column, as is the case case on the right column with the "Staff Pick" box.

Another thing I just noticed is your use of fonts. A well known design rule is the "three font" rule. You are using too many fonts and styles. The title is non-italic in font "A", whereas the top right uses the same font in an italic version. This is inconsistent with the rest of the design in that nowhere else uses italics. The "Support IdahoPTV" box uses a completely different font to everywhere else, which looks inconsistent, especially because it is also in a colour that is shared nowhere else on the page, and this makes it feel off-balance. As a general guideline, try to pick three fonts, with consistent style and sizing. I'd remove the italics from the top right, and change the font in the orange box to match the font you've used in other boxes. The main menu font should be matched in size to those box font headings as well.

I could be more pedantic, but this hopefully should give you some ideas!

Nathan Ridley
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

It's bloody excellent.

I thought I was a poor designer. But as you're a poor designer I must be a bloody piss-poor awful designer

Well done

gwyn
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home