Discussion Board

Sound

Anybody please tell me how to produce run a *.wav file
without using any of windows resources. I want to write
a program in x86 assembly to run *.wav file. Inviting your
ideas............

Jagadheesh Kamalesh
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

What do you mean "run" a wav file? Play it on the internal PC speaker?

Rob
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

start
run
filename.wav

Rammalamma Dingdong
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

"RammaLamma DingDong"

lol, sorry, I laughed out loud at that.

muppet is now from madebymonkeys.net
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

OFF TOPIC:

Ramma Lamma Ding dong reminds me of a story:

My in laws were arguing about some Lama they'd seen on vacation. She though it was in Lima, Peru. He thought it was Columbia or something.

I said:

"It's a Lima Lama, Ding Dong".

My wife and I cracked up.  My mother in law gave me the evil eye... for about a week.

Mr. Analogy
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Maybe im beeing trolled here, but never the less..

Im not into assembly language at all, but as far as I can tell, accessing audio hardware directly is not something people genrally do. If this really is what you want you probably need hardware specifications, which will be different for different soundcards.
But I dont think anyone has worked this way since the early ms-dos gaming days.

If you are looking for performance, you want to look into ASIO and/or directX audio. 

Eric Debois
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

And if it's just that you don't want to use C or C++ or another high level language, I suppose you can still call the Win32 API from assembly code.

vrt3
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

"Wave Files" are merely PCM data files with a wrapper.  Just Google for wave file format, and you'll get a very nice reference:

http://www.borg.com/~jglatt/tech/wave.htm

Then, all you have to do is take the PCM data and feed it into an audio device driver.  On linux, this would be as simple as

cat file.wav | wav_stipper > /dev/dsp0

Well, I haven't actually tried that, but I have written audio device drivers, and it would be the way I would start.

hoser
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

He said withOUT using Windows resources (drivers are written for Windows).

All that would leave is the PC speaker for playback, but I don't think most systems even have internal speakers anymore, and there certainly is not an old BIOS API that could directly handle arbitrary waveform playback (only frequency setting).

Or if this is part of a project that a company outsourced to you, maybe ask them how to do it?

Bobert
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Go back to middle-earth, troll!

anon-y-mous cow-ard
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Who, me? We're paying your pittance of a salary, along with a large sum your upper-caste bosses are pocketing and laughing at you as they lounge at filthy river-side eating their sweet meats... BEEEEYOTCH.

Bobert
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

my.. all this bigotry goes undeleted and unmolested but my post about prima donas is all gone.

I guess that's because Joel is a prima dona?

muppet from madebymonkeys.net
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

http://www.execnet.com/index.html?page=/filelibs/l151p002.html

Somewhere to start off, I would suppose.

KayJay
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home