Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Good news

http://www.zdnet.com.au/insight/toolkit/businessapps/opensource/0,39024866,39149910,00.htm

Another win for Star Office.

obvious
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Go StarOffice Go, Go StarOffice Go, Go StarOffice Go, Go StarOffice Go, umm where are we going?

Staroffice Fanboy
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

I'm really more of a anybody but Microsoft fan boy.

obvious
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Well according to Microsoft each Canadiam user just lost 39 minutes of their life :-)

http://members.microsoft.com/partner/campaign/realizevalue/sell/CR-AIR-OfficeXPvsStarOffice6_0ComparisonTest-Public.pdf

Code Monkey
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Canada is an 'overseas' win?  Those lakes are quite large, I suppose.

OpenOffice.org is based on an earlier version of StarOffice?  Somebody did there homework, didn't they.

Ged Byrne
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

"Well according to Microsoft each Canadiam user just lost 39 minutes of their life :-)"

They've never been know to lie or anything, right.  I mean it's not like their criminals, or convicted monopolists or anything.

obvious
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

"OpenOffice.org is based on an earlier version of StarOffice?  Somebody did there homework, didn't they."

I don't know all of the details, but that was my understanding of the order of events. Didn't Sun develop it and then open source it?

JWA
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

And, since I installed the latest version of OpenOffice on my Highschool Junior sister's new computer, I've certainly lost more than 39 minutes of my life trying to help her recover from a number of bugs. Someone once said they were at around a Word 95 level of development, and I'd say that is about right.

JWA
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Ged , JWA you're both right - Sun bought StarDivision who'd developed StarOffice (up to 5.x), open sourced the bits that they had rights to (i.e. most of it other than the database) as OpenOffice.Org which became the main development trunk then based StarOffice (6.0 onwards) on OO.o.

So it's true to say that StarOffice is based on OO.o which is based on StarOffice.  Simple really.

By the by - I use OO.o in preference to WordXP - but I wouldn't force my users to use it.  Not enough hand-holding.  Then again I do force my children to use it - they're bright enough and it's a damn sight cheaper.

a cynic writes...
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

The worst thing about OpenOffice:

It emulates MS Office.  The worst and most annoying emulated feature of MS Office?

Taking the friggin focus from the user multiple times while it opens a document. 

LAME!

Can I say that?

LAME, LAME, LAME!

Its so F#CKING LAME. WORDS CANNOT DESCRIBE THE DESCENT INTO LAMERY.  HUGE FIREY BRIMSTONE OF LAMENESS.

Ahhh... much better now...

hoser
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Slowpen office I call it.

Mike
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

"And, since I installed the latest version of OpenOffice on my Highschool Junior sister's new computer, I've certainly lost more than 39 minutes of my life trying to help her recover from a number of bugs."

Way to go, JWA!  Let your sister suffer through working out all the kinks, while your system stays pristine.  Great big brother you are.

Jim Rankin
Thursday, June 10, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home