Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Lluna, browser-location based chat

Check it out folks...  seems like an interesting concept.  So it's probably not new, but whatever - I'm a geek:

http://www.lluna.de

GiorgioG
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

been done, sucked then, too

muppet is now from madebymonkeys.net
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

I actually wondered about implementing something like that about 6 or 7 years ago.  I wasn't really thinking about live chat though, more like a sort or message board that was based on your browser location so that people could leave feedback + messages for other users of web stores and the like.  In the end I figured that it wouldn't be much use until it reached a critical mass and would be expensive to run once it had.  Since it didn't have many possibilties for revenue to support it (other than advertising and bribes from companies who wanted bad comments removed) I didn't bother.  I figured there was also a big potential for abuse of the service and didn't want any liability.  I guess that chat sidesteps at least some of these issues but it also negates some of the uses.

R1ch
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

I have never understood the notion of chat.  Must be an age thing (I'm forty-something).

hoser
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

"(I'm forty-something)" -- 'nuff said

//\
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

> I have never understood the notion of chat

chat    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (cht)
intr.v. chat·ted, chat·ting, chats

1. To converse in an easy, familiar manner; talk lightly and casually.
  2. Computer Science. To participate in a synchronous exchange of remarks with one or more people over a computer network.

Matthew Lock
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

alternative definition: to type complete drivel in conversation with your schoolmates all evening on the family Internet connection in a "cute" code that allegedly is quicker to type.

correct parental response: lean over and offer "helpful" spelling advice. (With good timing you can get them to stomp off to bed in a huff)

Fortunately my daughter does not read this forum.

a cynic writes...
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

But then again, you'd have a hard time explaining why you as a grown-up use pseudonyms, no?

one meeeellion dollars!
Saturday, June 12, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home