Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Windows wireless trouble

This is frustrating.  My wife's laptop, running XP Pro, keeps disconnecting from the wireless AP.  Problems started over the weekend with really slow network performance, and now the WEP key entry just seems completely broken (will not associate).

Does anyone else have trouble with XP dropping WEP key entries?

hoser
Monday, June 07, 2004

Have you tried XP Home?

;)

a
Monday, June 07, 2004

We had the same issue on a bunch of laptops at work.  Try turning off Radius or Eap authentication.  Sorry I'm not in front of a laptop right now so I can't remember the exact caption.  As I recall it turned off 802.11X authantication and may have been on another tab from the WEP key.

O Canader
Monday, June 07, 2004

Turned out to be a low signal condition.  I moved the machine to the next room, and it works fine.  The diagnostics showed good signal, and my Linux laptop works fine in that room using the same network cards.  I didn't expect the signal to be an issue.  But it was. 

All is happiness in the hoser home now.  Hell hath no fury like a woman's computer malfunctioning.

hoser
Monday, June 07, 2004

I have a friend whose wireless LAN doesn't work in the same room as his cordless telephone.

Christopher Wells
Monday, June 07, 2004

Just stumbled across this ars technica link:

http://arstechnica.com/news/posts/1086548177.html

maybe it helps.

A Dingo Ate My Baby
Monday, June 07, 2004

The ars technica link is interesting, because that's what it was behaving like.  When it lost my network's signal, it would keep informing me that my neighbor's Wifi was available (neighbor hasn't heard about WEP either).

hoser
Monday, June 07, 2004

Hoser,

I too am having weird wi-fi problems under XP Professional. I thought that i'd try the following:

1. Disable the Windows Zero Client wi-fi under Control Panel -> Services.
2. Connect using the manufacturers drivers and config screen.

So far this has worked good, i'll let you know.

Kevin

Kevin Moore
Monday, June 07, 2004

No, the Microsoft support rep told me that a) I was the problem, b) the wireless card was the problem, c) the laptop was the problem, d) the router was the problem. Since the problem could not be in XP Pro he would only help after paying Microsoft 265 euro.

They did not even answer my complaint letter. THey stink big time.

Of course the problem was in XP Pro and no where else. How I know? I have found the problem.

Karel Thönissen
Monday, June 07, 2004

Not surprising Karel...when you run a support center, you train your techs to deal with most common scenarios -- and the most common scenario is that the user has done something incorrectly.  Sadly, those of us who actually do know what we're doing are also put into the same call queues as everyone else, and given the same treatment...and it's not just MS, it's pretty much the same w/ any big company support hotline (I happen to find Dell particularly irritating).

Joe
Monday, June 07, 2004

Fair enough, but I explained what we had done to determine that the problem was in their software and nowhere else. I even offered to pay the money if the problem was indeed outside of XP Pro. However, that is impossible: you have to pay even if MS is to blame. But I refuse to become a *paying* beta-tester. So that is where our roads split.

Now I know where the bug is in XP Pro. Almost a year later, it is still there in XP. Good job, Microsoft! Your current advertising  compain is so hypocritical. It should read:

Your money. Our passion.

Karel Thönissen
Monday, June 07, 2004

I do agree that it's awful that MS requires you to pay up front, and then if they determine it was their fault they refund you.  What exactly is their incentive to admit fault?

Of course there isn't really a good option here.  They couldn't exactly ask customers to pay *after* their problem is fixed...we'd all just hang up on them, heh.

One thing I will say though: companies who charge hundreds of dollars to get a single question answered by a marginally trained $7.25/hr call center employee are definately ripping their customers off.

Joe
Monday, June 07, 2004

Karel - what, exactly, was the "bug"?

Philo

Philo
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Philo, I appreciate your concern and I wish I was helped by someone like you at the time.  You sincerely try to create value for the others/customers in this forum. Even to such an extend that I sometimes feel a bit uneasy when you are promoting MS solutions given my prior experience with your employer.

As I said, our (MS and mine) roads have split. I have been insulted twice, first on the phone by not being helped when we had a legitimate problem that has cost us approx 36 man hours of developer time, then by not being replied to when I wrote my detailed complaint.

I am still waiting for the answer to my letter of 2003.09.25 to the manager of Microsoft Nederland b.v. Now it is the turn of Microsoft to respond.

Sorry Philo, keep up the good work

Karel Thönissen
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Anyone having trouble with Windows XP and wireless might want to check out http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,63705,00.html

inquiring mind
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home