Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Daughter needs a laptop - Part II

(On a sorta related note...)

Stopped by the Apple store in the mall this weekend.  Wow.  Wow!  WOW!

If AutoCAD ran native on OS/X, the daughter would have a PowerBook right now.

Why has the Windows interface not evolved to this level of quality?  I mean, forget the "way" things are done in the operating system (right-click or Recycle Bin or whatever) and just look at the "quality" of the implementation (everything just seems to *flow*).

Side note to those of you who are about to tell me to buy a copy of Virtual PC:
  The salesman at the store (an engineering student at Ga. Tech) recommended against a Mac for Architecture.  His personal experience is that a heavy app like AutoCad would seriously underperform under Virtual PC.

Caffeinated
Monday, June 07, 2004

That's pretty accurate.  Virutalization applications are created for that "one app" that you can't live without on your new platform.  They are not made to be the primary way that you do work.

I've been drooling over the dual G5 boxes...  mmm...

KC
Monday, June 07, 2004

Just a note on VPC, Microsoft (the new owner of Virtual PC) has indicated that VPC 7 will move most graphics processing off onto the graphics sub-system rather than generating in code.  That may bring substantial speed to the system.

With that said, a PC is still the best bet for your daughter; running a primary program in an emulated environment is probably not the best idea.

Lou
Monday, June 07, 2004

If the problem is not so much one of having to use AutoCAD, but rather of being able to exchange drawings with AutoCAD, try hunting around at:

http://www.architosh.com

which is a website devoted to architecture etc. on the mac platform.

Gaius
Monday, June 07, 2004

Yeah, I'm writing this post from my PowerBook that I bought after just the same experience. The cool thing is that the experience stays that way, there are few if any disappointments.

However, what they told you was right, Virtual PC 6 (The latest release) is definitely not fast enough to consider using for an app like AutoCad. Possibly when VP7 is released at the end of the year, as the rumor is that it will tap into the Apple Quartz graphics system.

--Josh

JWA
Monday, June 07, 2004

"I've been drooling over the dual G5 boxes...  mmm..."

Writing this from a dual G5 with 4GB of ram and a 240GB hdd, the drooling is all worth it. :-D

Andrew Hurst
Monday, June 07, 2004

My experience with Macs has been "our way is the right way".  If you don't like the way it works, tough.  Windows has provided me with more alternatives in the way I do things.

The key example is the mouse.  I don't like to use the mouse if I can help it, but Macs don't seem to encourage keyboard use.  Is this just me with my Windows experience?  Can I Mac without a Mouse?

I could like a Mac if I didn't feel it was so inflexible.  Disillusionment welcome.

Eponymous
Monday, June 07, 2004

are you talking about Windows 2000 server or 2000 advanced server or datacenter or Windows 2003 or Windows.NET or Longhorn?

The thing Windows is that you have variety of options same as when you walked in the grocery store buying chips. The only difference is that none of the Windows products work properly period.

They suck, it sucks to be in Microsoft shoes I know, I know. Poor Philo.

Jason
Monday, June 07, 2004

"The key example is the mouse.  I don't like to use the mouse if I can help it, but Macs don't seem to encourage keyboard use.  Is this just me with my Windows experience?  Can I Mac without a Mouse?"

Actually there are tons of shortcuts on the mac.  It encourages their use as well, because all of the applications use the same ones.  I use shortcuts much more now on the mac than I ever did on windows or in Linux.

For a good reference:
http://www.uark.edu/compserv/softsys/macintosh/macos/osx/osxkeybd.html

Andrew Hurst
Monday, June 07, 2004

"Can I Mac without a Mouse?"

sure, just turn on "Full Keyboard Access" in the prefs.

FullNameRequired
Monday, June 07, 2004

Excellent, thanks for the info.  I'll have another go at the Mac thing; I'm hopeful that I can change my habits enough to make it work.

Now, where can I get an iBook with two mouse buttons?

Eponymous
Monday, June 07, 2004

"Now, where can I get an iBook with two mouse buttons?"

<shrug> just get a wireless mouse with two mousebuttons  and use that, theres even a special place in the case for such a device to go.

FullNameRequired
Monday, June 07, 2004

I just switched to the Mac for my primary desktop.  Not from Windows but from Gnome.  Why I didn't do this sooner, I have no idea.

I still use Windows on a regular basis through Remote Desktop, not Virtual PC which kind of stinks.

Bill Rushmore
Monday, June 07, 2004

remote desktop is very good indeed if you have a spare computer handy.

I do nearly all my windows testing via RDC (at least where its possible)

FullNameRequired
Monday, June 07, 2004

All you mac users -- you should check out "Quicksilver"
http://blacktree.com/apps/quicksilver/
(weird un-inviting page, but click on the 'The last public beta is available here' link for the download).
It's a free extension for OS X that, well, it's hard to explain.
Basically, you hit Command-SpaceBar and a little incremental-search box comes up. You start typing the name of *somthing* and it starts to find things on your computer -- files, applications, web bookmarks, iTunes songs, etc. etc. Hit the return key and up comes that file/app/page/song/etc.
It doesn't sound very exciting, but trust me -- it will change your life. I rarely have to reach for the mouse anymore, and I am much happier as a result of it. I also don't need to deal with the conceptually-discordant Dock anymore, thank god.
The site is short on explanation/documentation, but this article helped:
http://vjarmy.com/archives/2004/03/quicksilver_a_better_os_x_in_just_10_minutes.php

Just thought while we were on the topic of keyboard shortcuts I would mention it.

[PS - There are no typos here for you to nitpick (nit-pick?), and it's a free piece of software so I have no ninja-marketing agenda.]

Jordan Lev
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Anyone know if there's something like Quicksilver for Windows?  Unlike the poster complaining about the lack of keyboard commands in OS X, I'm now finding that Windows isn't as keyboard-friendly as my tiBook is!  It's driving me nuts...

jburka
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

I was planning to write a launcher for Windows. I just can't stand using Windows since I bought my mac :)

I use the LaunchBar for OS X, simply because it was the first.

Rhys Keepence
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home