Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

What I love about bicycle racing...

Totally OT.  So what.

. In a stage race, each day is a new race.  Someone will try to pull off the impossible, and might just do it.
. Good coverage thanks to OLN (I'm watching reruns of Tour de Romandie as I type)
. Sportsmanship: watching Riis beome domestique for Jan Ullrich in the 1997 Tour de France.  Riis win TdF in 1996.  circa Team Telekom.
. Knowing that dragging my fat ass up an "out of category" climb would be a significant life event.  They do it routinely at speeds many people can only manage on flat ground.
. Watching Tyler Hamilton win a TdF stage with a broken collar bone.
. Paul Sherwin, Phil Ligget, and Bob whatizname?  Great commentary.
. Watching Virenque gamble and win a stage.
. Wondering what young Spanish climber will challenge Lance this year.

OH BABY.

hoser
Sunday, June 06, 2004

I agree with the above wholeheartedly.  I bought a TiVo last year just so I wouldn't miss a second of TDF coverage, i've enjoyed the fact that TiVo also picks up the Giro, Sea Otter, and other great events.

Woot!  Cycling.

zizgzag
Sunday, June 06, 2004

You forgot to mention all the drugs.

Monday, June 07, 2004

totally off, but who the f..k cares?

Monday, June 07, 2004

Just got back from two days at Fort William watching the UCI world cup cross country, downhill and for cross events. The downhill racing is just mental: ~350m (1,200ft) descent in less than 6 kilometres of very rough tracks. Winning time a fraction over 4 minutes!

Gaius
Monday, June 07, 2004

For those who don't know what I'm talking about:

http://www.fortwilliamworldcup.co.uk

Gaius
Monday, June 07, 2004

Bah! That's nothing! Real craziness is riding down the Kandahar (world cup ski run) on bikes - http://www.23degrees-sports.com/news.php?id=384 and http://snowking.upsolutmv.com/index.htm

"At these speeds when you go off line, you just hang on and get to the finish." (you hope!)

Monday, June 07, 2004

Downhill Mountain biking is a drug to me...
Every weekend in the summer... its up the chair-lift and down the hill on my bike.
That's what its all about.

Anyway.... nothing to do with IT but it sure helps me and to get rid of some anger when i have to deal with our Tech support department.

Nicholas Franks
Monday, June 07, 2004

I think Bob whatshisname took one too many crashes without a helmet...  "Tour day France" come on!  He also needs to keep his hands on the table when he's talking. ;)

Ray
Monday, June 07, 2004

Every time Bob Roll says "Tour DAY France" I wince. He really does know better because he rode in it. Even Phil Liggett's pronunciation has improved over the years.

Still, Kirsten Gum makes up for Bob. Anyone who can work on TV with a name like hers deserves to be applauded.

DataMiner
Monday, June 07, 2004

... And I just came back from Philadelphia where we stateside types could get a wee taste of the TdF during the US Pro race yesterday.  Standing next to the course near the crest of Lemon Hill as the peloton went by really whetted my appetite for July 3rd...

<topicality> Joel once rode a bicycle across the US. </topicality>

- former car owner in Queens
Monday, June 07, 2004

I think these sorts of things are common with nearly all amateur sports, and many other pro sports.  It's a sad reflection on American culture that so many pro sports *lack* things like, oh, sportsmanship.

So ++ for professional bicyclists, I guess, for not being as bad as professional athletes in some sports I could mention...

J.B.
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home