Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Have you heard of the Cobra Group?

(1) Have any of you people here had the chance of dealing with this company on any terms, as an employee or a client? The company it seems is called the Cobra Group and they've a website at http://www.cobragroup.com.

I ask because my sister applied to them 2 months ago when they said they were opening shop in Delhi, India. They took about two months and nothing started yet. My sister'd keep calling them to check for developments. Then three days, I called them to see if they'd started operations. They had just started two days back they said. They said they were an Australian concern. What business? They just told me to go to the website to check out what they're into. Somehow I don't quite see myself getting convinced if they're really okay. Beside, they offered her a very paltry amount dismissing her prior call-center experience of 3 years. She hadn't been employed for over 6 months now so she said yes.

I am not very happy about it. The name itself is so wierd. Do anyone of you here know anything about these people? Are they ok to work for?

(2)

http://discuss.fogcreek.com/joelonsoftware/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=115365

The GE folks, I'd told them I'd write to the press about thier delinquince. That scared the shit out of them and they said we could keep the 1 month salary that we got by mistake. They said they'd realized it was an error from their side. To cover up what they'd said (that they'd paid us 3 months' salary or something of that sort), they said they'd actually written the salary cheques but not dispatched them to our address, and the cheques were lying in the mail-room, and that had caused them to think we had recieved pay for the 3 months.

Everything was ok for sometime. Just four days back, they started calling my sister again saying she had to return half of the one month salary plus some PF that they'd credited to her account. Now, I have no clue nor does my sister, about what PF they're talking about. And why must we run around the PF offices and fill forms and pay them for something that wasn't our fault?

What do I do?

A regular poster to this forum
Friday, June 04, 2004

Dude...how hard is it to check their website?

While their "Human Commercials" stuff sounds a bit eerie, they list companies such as "American Express, Austar, Citibank, MBNA, Pizza Hut, Sheraton Hotels, Tele2, Telecom New Zealand, NPower and The Carphone Warehouse" as their clients.

They hardly look like a fly by night company, but they do look like another cheesy marketing firm that likes to speak in double-talk.

X
Friday, June 04, 2004

Websites are marketing brouchers. My company has all the razmatazz on their slick-looing website because we have so many flash designers who are on similar jobs day in and day out. All of that marketing blitzkrieg could lead anyone who's not been here to believe that they actually mean whatever they say. That's another story that they didn't write all of the stuff on the website themselves.

What led me to doubt was their office took so many days, its not all that great and they are paying so low. Its less than a quarter of the normal rate in the industry for a 3 year old experienced call-center professional. And it seems like a sweatshop.

I thought if someone who'd dealt with them would tell me more.

Friday, June 04, 2004

Is that GI Joe's enemy?

MilesArcher
Friday, June 04, 2004

I would not trust the website.  If I list all the clients I have had over 15 years, I would be able to claim a third of their list.  While that may make me sound impressive, it should not.

WebSites are the unregulated world of hucksterism. 

MSHack
Friday, June 04, 2004

>Is that GI Joe's enemy?

LOL! Looks like to me.

A regular poster on this forum
Friday, June 04, 2004

The website isn't too impressive.  Slick but devoid of content.

I particularly like the "About this company" page, which has a grammatical error in the first paragraph and dead links where the company lists projects for its clients.

On the other hand, a Google search turns up more information.  Seems like a real company at least:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22The+Cobra+Group%22+marketing&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8

Robert Jacobson
Friday, June 04, 2004

Thank you, guys, for reading this post and spending whatever of your precious little time on my issue. If any poster has interacted with them, kindly let me know how these people are.

Friday, June 04, 2004

It's a direct marketing group. As well as being paid shit you can expect your sister to regularly get insulted over the phone by people justifiiably annoyed at receiving unsolicited calls.

Marry her off, instead.

Stephen Jones
Friday, June 04, 2004

My good lord, how did you know that my sister is of marriagable age? It is in preparation of getting her married that we are trying to get her into a job, because it matters in India. If the girl is working, she has chances of getting a better groom.

Stephen, I hope you recieved my previous mail through this board. I have thought a fair share of thoughts about trying to learn from your posts, with the immense wisdom they ooze. How does one learn:

(1) Good english,
(2) International politics

I want to learn a lot of things in my life. I greatly admire the way you write about whatever the topic. I mean I hope you understand.

Regards,
Sathyaish Chakravarthy

Friday, June 04, 2004

Fuck! I thought I was writing a private message to Stephen Jones. No use hiding now.

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Friday, June 04, 2004

LOL! I'm sure Stephen will be kind. ;-)

Bored Bystander
Friday, June 04, 2004

Hell! I thought Stephen would also be in kind!

Friday, June 04, 2004

LOL++!

Robert Jacobson
Friday, June 04, 2004

Head down against the desk, hands covering my head.

:-(

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Friday, June 04, 2004

Lets spoil it further, Estudiantin. It happens to the best of us. Look, it has happened to you!

Friday, June 04, 2004

Gee....[grin]

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Friday, June 04, 2004

I don't know anything about the Cobra Group... which is too bad, because knowing is half the battle.

Mr. Fancypants
Friday, June 04, 2004

And what would you be trying to say, Mr.Fancypants?

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Friday, June 04, 2004

Sathyaish, the Cobra Group seems to be one of those operations that aims to make money from charity fund raising (can you donate to the Heart Foundation, such and such Hospital, etc?)

The name is similar to a group that made its money in car alarms, based originally in Sydney's western suburbs (i.e. dodgy dealings.) Their office is in an area that used to have lots of cheap rag-trade operations.

Summary - a bunch of people on the make. I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

Bridge climber
Friday, June 04, 2004

Cobra Kai?  Yeah, they were bad-ass.

You know what they study there?
THE WAY OF THE FIST SIR.

And you know what is that way?
STRIKE FIRST. STRIKE HARD. NO MERCY SIR.

One thing you got to look out for is that they 'Sweep the leg'.  But, I heard that the crane technique works well.

Oh, wait, Cobra "Group"! Never mind!

Daniel-San
Friday, June 04, 2004

That was precisely what my sis was telling me on the phone today. Something about charity and NGOs. But I was never acquitted of having qualms of distress thinking of this phony cartel. Thanks for the summary, Bridge Climber. I think I know what to do now.

And how must I deal with the GE troops now?

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Friday, June 04, 2004

Daniel-San, what are you getting so mad at? Could you please help me understand what you wanted to say with that post you made?

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Friday, June 04, 2004

It appears to be a reference to "The Karate Kid" movie:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=Cobra+Kai&btnG=Google+Search

Bored Bystander
Friday, June 04, 2004

my brother used to work for them in london - they do marketing (value cards for restaurants and so on).  as nice as any direct marketing company. 

Zealot
Friday, June 04, 2004

I did get the reference to the martial art, but I still do not know what was his intent? What was he trying to say? Was that just a joke? What was it about the 'sweep of the leg' and the way of the fist?

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Friday, June 04, 2004

---"thoughts about trying to learn from your posts, with the immense wisdom they ooze. How does one learn:

(1) Good english,"----

One little tip about good English. We don't normally associate oozing with wisdom- ooze pus is more likely.

One consolation though. 100% of readers of the forum will think you got the phrase half-right!

Stephen Jones
Friday, June 04, 2004

I was aware of that. Ooze wasn't quite befitting, but I compromised with it because I thought a more apt one such as "exude" might be a bit too verbose.

The question is, how does one better himself?

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Friday, June 04, 2004

This has to be one of the funniest responses to my obvious lame attempt at humor:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I did get the reference to the martial art, but I still do not know what was his intent? What was he trying to say? Was that just a joke? What was it about the 'sweep of the leg' and the way of the fist?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Dude!  You've got to sit down and watch "The Karate Kid".  One of the classic movies of the 80's.

Firstly,
Ralph Macchio played the lead character whose name was: Daniel LaRusso.  Daniel, after running into trouble with some of the members of the "Cobra Kai" (martial arts dojo), started learning karate under Mr. Kesuke Miyagi.  Miyagi would call Daniel, "Daniel-San".  Hence, the name I used.

Secondly,
"Cobra Kai", when showing a scene inside the dojo, chanted those very things that I typed out.  These things are now material used for retro 80's t-shirts.

Thirdly,
In the Karate tournament at the end, the Cobra Kai guys - whom Daniel had to fight - were playing dirty.  Daniel got injured, during one of the fights, but still came out for the championship "battle".  The injury was to his leg.  The final battle was amongst the most evil of the Cobra Kai students.  The "master" of that dojo said to his pupil, "sweep the leg".  You know, because that would be a dirty thing to do (Daniel being injured and all).

Daniel eventually won the battle by using the "crane technique".  Something that he saw Miyagi doing on the beach one day during their training.

In other words: lighten up.  It was a joke.  I saw Cobra, in Cobra Group, and I immediately thought: Cobra Kai!

Daniel-San
Friday, June 04, 2004

If all Indians are as stuffy as you, I guess we have nothing to fear from outsourcing.

Get a sense of humor!

Mr. Fancypants
Friday, June 04, 2004

Stuffy? Not at all. I am seriously working on bettering my English and comprehension skills. This is precisely what I mean when I say I have to work on my language skills.

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Friday, June 04, 2004

This is one of the funniest threads I have seen.  All the GI Joe references were good but the best was the "A regular poster to this forum" was revealed as Sathyaish, the Norm* of JOS!  Then add in some Karate Kid, magnifique!

* Reference to old American TV show "Cheers" character

Bill Rushmore
Friday, June 04, 2004

Sathyaish, regarding the GE folks, is there some Indian government agency who can advise you on how Indian employment law applies in this situation?

Bridge climber
Friday, June 04, 2004

Sounds more like Clif Clavin to me!

Frazier Crane
Friday, June 04, 2004

>>>>>
This is precisely what I mean when I say I have to work on my language skills
>>>>>

Don't be too hard on yourself.  This has nothing to do with your language skills.  These are cultural references.  Pretty much anyone in my age group (25-35?) has seen the Karate Kid.  Therefore, when I start whipping out references to "Cobra Kai", "Daniel-San", "sweep the leg", "crane technique" .. most ... will chuckle.  Because it makes you think of that movie (I say most, because some will treat my humor as juvenile).

But, IMO, having cultural similarites is beneficial to communication.  Which makes that one of the negatives for offshore development.  But, that's a topic for another day.  It's Friday, and I'm "audi 4000"  <- Again, another reference you will not understand.  I'm just saying bye.

Daniel-San
Friday, June 04, 2004

Daniel-san

Wax on, Wax off! Paint the fence!

Mr. Miagi
Friday, June 04, 2004

Just don't tell Vera.

An irregular poster to this forum
Friday, June 04, 2004

Would you guys like to tell me what's going on here?

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Friday, June 04, 2004

I'm just bitter someone beat me to the Cobra-Kai joke.

Jorel on Software
Saturday, June 05, 2004

Nothing is going on here, everyone back to your Dilbert references please.

Simon Lucy
Saturday, June 05, 2004

What is Dilbert and why should one reference it? Is it some new pointer thing that I must learn to be a _master C coder_?

Saturday, June 05, 2004

Do you think Dilbert could leg sweep his PHB?

Jorel on Software
Saturday, June 05, 2004

Nah! An straight drive past long off maybe. PHB are always off, not on.

Saturday, June 05, 2004

I know what Dilbert is okay. And you guys making fun of me or what? And you dot space guy, making fun of me?

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Sunday, June 06, 2004

I'm just making a very feeble attempt  to get your goat!

Sunday, June 06, 2004

Check out the links below, I only wish I had come accross them a long time ago! (DSMAX is the Cobra Groups sister company but is run exactly the same!)

http://wolfram.org/scam/dsmax/index.html

http://groups.msn.com/DSMAXTheAftermath/msnw

Mark Edwards
Monday, June 07, 2004

Mark, thanks for the informative links.

BTW, my sister has opted out of that job. It was 10 hours a day with a meagre Rs.5,000 in monthly salary and all the work in the world to do. So much for the Cobra Group! And they say they're an elite MNC. MNC, my a$$!

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

I have worked with cobra Group in spain, as you said a strange firm a world of oportunities is the basis of the group
The company in Spain is promoting lots of companies, they grow.
they gave me documentation about their event all over the world; rising star, rallyes...over-rides , bond....a specific firm culture!!
I was searching a piece of information of  its type of firm in the law, because I don't think they are quoted on the financial market so that ...
if somebody of you are steel close, what do you think?

Stéphanie Voisembert
Friday, June 25, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home