Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Recommendations: best IDE for RedHat/Gnome?

Any recommendations for best IDE for converted Win32/Visual Studio developers?

I've used Visual SlickEdit under Gnome and it's... decent.  Is there something else I can recommend to these developers that would make them feel comfortable, given their experience with VS .NET and VC6?

Thanks.

badblue.com/blog
Friday, June 04, 2004

Are you going to work on C/C++? Try CodeWarrior from Metrowerks, it compiles binaries for both platforms. Or, try working remotely from a windows client to you *nix box with http://home.worldonline.dk/viksoe/bvrde.htm

RP
Friday, June 04, 2004

The big ones are KDevelop and Anjuta. KDevelop is integrated into the KDE environment, with a bent toward developing with the KDE/Qt libs, and Anjuta toward the GTK end of things. They're not mutually exclusive though. For visual work, Glade is usually used for GTK related stuff, QtDesigner for Qt.

I say they're intended for particular uses, but they're not mutually exclusive.

.conf
Friday, June 04, 2004

Emacs.

Friday, June 04, 2004

Real Unix programmers only need vi

old_timer
Friday, June 04, 2004

VI's ok if you're just writing code. If you want to refactor stuff, EMACS's multi-buffer editing and kill-code/yank-code methodology is way ahead.

Seriously -- the only people I've seen go on a serious "IDE" hunt for Linux are the ones that can't really do UNIX development anyway; they're suffering, and they think it's VI's fault rather than their own. Bad workman etc.

The best UNIX developers I know are split roughly 50/50 between favouring VI and EMACS, but are OK on the other anyway.

UNIX tends to favour building your own dev environments. Scripts and makefiles are easy to put together -- you just roll your own stuff.

Eg; we have a script that creates empty C++ classes, with all the member declarations in place, puts them in the right directories, adds them to the subversion repository... it took 30 seconds to write and it's /EXACTLY/ what we need.

No IDE will match your environment as well as a set of tools you build yourself.

It's for that reason that it's vital that UNIX developers develop using UNIX tools. No, it's not graphical. It's not as shiny. It's a DIFFERENT approach is all. All the IDE's seem to inflict a Windows development methodology onto the UNIX process and it never seems to gel properly.

It works the other way -- try and do Windows development by messing about with scripts instead of playing things the IDE way and it all goes pear-shaped. There's a system philosophy at work that it hurts to go against.

Go learn Emacs to edit code, Perl and bashto automate things with and Make to do your builds and your development will get fast and easy.

Katie Lucas
Friday, June 04, 2004

Monodevelop is really becoming the bomb. Check it out.

Andrew Murray
Sunday, June 06, 2004

It's hard to say just one thing as the BEST: it all depends on your needs.
If you work with several teammates and prefer the client/server architecture, you can give Magic C++ a shot.
It's a remote cross platform IDE for C/C++. Supports cvs and remote debugging and compiling.

JillNa
Sunday, June 13, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home