Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Aeron Chair

At last, I have taken the plunge and bought one of Herman Miller's Aeron chairs (model "C", fully loaded).

I've had it for a few days now and I must say that it has been exceptional. It is, of course, very easy to adjust in numerous ways and now that I've got it set up just right, its amazing.

I guess 1000 USD (equiv) is a lot for a chair, but IMHO it is worth every cent and I'd recommend it to anyone who can get their hands on one.

Steve Jones (UK)
Friday, June 04, 2004

Agree 100%. Had mine for 3 years or so now, well worth every penny.

Len Holgate
Friday, June 04, 2004

We had them at Credit Suisse. They are really comfy but the mesh wears your pants out really quickly.

Matthew Lock
Friday, June 04, 2004

I hope you're American, Matthew. Or Superman.

Friday, June 04, 2004

Ummm what do you do in your chair Matthew to cause such friction?

On second thoughts don't answer that...

Simon Lucy
Friday, June 04, 2004

Isn't that how all the best programmers code?

"In 1960, software development meant a roomful of men with horn rimmed glasses and narrow black neckties, industriously writing ten lines of code a day on IBM coding forms. In 1980, it was a team of eight to ten people wearing jeans to the office and typing into vt100s. Now it's a couple of guys sitting in a living room with laptops. (And jeans turn out not to be the last word in informality.)"

Matthew Lock
Friday, June 04, 2004

http://www.paulgraham.com/road.html

Matthew Lock
Friday, June 04, 2004

We had those chairs at a previous employer, and I don't get the hype.  Maybe I just never adjusted it right, but I didn't notice anything in particular about it that was any more comfortable than the chair I just got at Office Max for $60 USD.  Even if I did adjust it better, the difference would never be worth over $900 extra.

Clay Whipkey
Friday, June 04, 2004

They also pull out the short hairs. Ouch!

TheNakedGuy@cory.berkeley.edu
Friday, June 04, 2004

As far as overpriced task chairs go I like the Swopper.

Matt
Friday, June 04, 2004

We obtained new Aerons with our new building 3 yrs ago.  All (well, most all) the guys learned pretty fast that if you kept your wallet in your back pocket, you would soon have a hole at one of the lower corners of the pocket.  The chair is comfortable, but works like sandpaper.  It is not unusual to see guys walking around with significant wear marks in their back pockets - you would think they would buy new pants.  Oh well, no one ever said programmers were overly fashion conscious...

Jim L
Monday, June 07, 2004

I found an interesting review about MIRRA - the next generation Aeron!

http://www.pixelsurgeon.com/reviews/review.php?id=439

kucchi
Sunday, June 20, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home